Magic eye not working with old panasonic sky box

micks_address

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

just put back in an old panasonic sky box and powered on the rf2 outlet.. i can get picture upstairs, and red light on the eye, but it doesnt change the channels..

any ideas?

Cheers,
Mick

Does it work if you plug it in downstairs and cover the box IR reciever ?

brought it down stairs and plugged into rf port directly but not getting any power light.. i wonder would it be the fitting thats on the rf2 which is connecting male to male.. that isnt allowing the connection in deep enough to work? strange thing is that when i connect it upstairs i do get red light

brought it down stairs and plugged into rf port directly but not getting any power light.. i wonder would it be the fitting thats on the rf2 which is connecting male to male.. that isnt allowing the connection in deep enough to work? strange thing is that when i connect it upstairs i do get red light

You need a female connector for the RF2 out or just a UHF-UHF coupler to convert.

Using uhf to uhf coupler no joy funny how it worked with hd box fine maybe its just not compatible with older boxes

Using uhf to uhf coupler no joy funny how it worked with hd box fine maybe its just not compatible with older boxes

At least you know the eye is the problem.

i think the eye should be ok though as it works if i use with sky hd box.. just not working with panasonic sky box..

brought it down stairs and plugged into rf port directly but not getting any power light.

Either you've connected the wrong end to RF2 or you've short-circuited RF2 and the Digibox has powered it off. A magic eye LED should ALWAYS light when connected to RF2 if the voltage is ON.

Either you've connected the wrong end to RF2 or you've short-circuited RF2 and the Digibox has powered it off. A magic eye LED should ALWAYS light when connected to RF2 if the voltage is ON.

Thinking about it if the OP tried to connect the eye to the rf2 out and the plugs were the same format, it must have been the wrong way round. The RF2 out is surely female and the eye in male so should plug straight in, am I right ?

Last edited:
Thinking about it if the OP tried to connect the eye to the rf2 out and the plugs were the same format, it must have been the wrong way round. The RF2 out is surely female and the eye in male so should plug straight in, am I right ?

No RF2 out is a male BUT magic eye should have both (back to back) to allow through connection to TV:lesson:

No RF2 out is a male BUT magic eye should have both (back to back) to allow through connection to TV:lesson:

Breaking the normal in/out convention. Or do I misunderstand, if it's got both you can't connect it the wrong way round. Only the right end will go into RF2 out.

Last edited:
Breaking the normal in/out convention. Or do I misunderstand, if it's got both you can't connect it the wrong way round. Only the right end will go into RF2 out.

The magic eye has both male and female connectors and can only connect to the RF2 the correct way round. However what the OP appears to be doing is trying to connect to RF2 the wrong way round male to male is wrong (and will not work because the output to the TV often is isolated for the DC voltage) - or has he broken off the female connector which is very easy to do on some magic eyes where the female socket is very poorly held to the plastic body by two very inadequate lugs on the outer earth section and a flimsy solder connection for the centre connector?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom