Magic Eye help

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by bobby19, Jan 7, 2012.

1. bobby19

bobby19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a new TV for the upstairs bedroom and was going to install a magic eye so I can watch sky. My house is about 10 years old and has aerial socket in both the Living room and bedroom where the TV is located. Can I just run coaxil cable from the RF2 socket on the sky box to the aerial socket and then run cable from the socket upstairs and connect the magic eye onto it and into the tv and it will work?
    I have also had a look upstairs in the loft and the aerial socket wire appears to be connected straight to the aerial wire if this has any bearing on matters?
    Cheers in advance for any guidance.

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    There's one thing that comes up very often and needs to be cleared up.
    The "magic eye" is only for getting remote control back down to the Sky machine, and although the Sky channel goes up the same cable the other way, it doesn't need a "magic eye" to do that,
    Your aerial socket inb the main room is currently taking the terrestrial signal down from the aerial.
    If you want to keep that for the main TV you'll have to fix a new cable for the Sky channel.
    If you don't you could use it the other way round, disconnecting it in the loft from the aerial and joining it instead to the aerial cable that goes to the other room.

3. DeanR32

DeanR32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm going through this at the moment. I'm in a 5 year old apartment and want sky in my bedroom

My understanding is you can change the channel through the magic eye and watch it in the bedroom. Great idea, but I'm too having problems with getting the eye to work

Reading up on this, it seems like my aerial socket in the bedroom may be isolated, therefore not letting power down the lead and out the socket.

I'll change the point in the bedroom, but now I'm wondering if the point in the main room would be isolated too.

The point in the main room is a multi point type, with aerial, 2 sky points, DAB radio and a return socket for the bedroom aerial. The return (bedroom) socket looped out and straight into a sky point before I had sky+.

Does anyone know if I'm on the right track with the isolated socket idea?

Could my main tv multipoint be isolated too?

Sorry to highjack mate, but this may help you too, seeing as your in a newish build etc

4. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Don't understand this statement, please elaborate. eg The Return socket is only in the lounge and what does "looped" mean? The return socket in the lounge should go directly to RF2 on the Sky box.
    The aerial socket in the lounge should go directly to RF In on the Sky box.

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    You don't mention one important point, so is the channel actually getting through to the TV?
    If it is but the remote control isn't getting back the other way then the plates may be the wrong type.
    That note "return (bedroom) socket looped out and straight into a sky point" IS baffling though.
    What is a "sky point" and what did that set up use to do?

6. DeanR32

DeanR32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the replies chaps

The bedroom aerial point runs through the flat and comes out behind the main tv in the front room. The return had an adapter to go from the coaxial and to a sky aerial plug thingy. I suppose it used the communal dish to pick up freeview tv? Not too sure but now we've got sky+ and soon to be HD, we've lost the signal to the bedroom as the aerial can't loop out of the return and into the sky point.

We do pick up freeview signal when we put the return/sky loop back in, and now I've tried to rig up this eye, I can pick up the sky box in the bedroom, but the magic eye LED doesn't come on and therefore can't change channels.

So to summarise. I get signal to the bedroom, but no power to turn the eye on

What's my next move guys? It would make her indoors really happy!

7. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Absolute gobbledegook!

Perhaps if you did not "guess", and instead show us a picture, we may be able to understand what you are trying to say?

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    It's lost me too, but here's what should be happening. Begin with what S N said in post #4 - connect the terrestrial aerial to Sky machine Aerial In. If you want terrestrial TV on the main TV connect its Aerial In to Sky machine's RF1 Out. Connect Sky machine's RF2 Out to extension TV's Aerial In. The result should be that extension TV receives current Sky channel on analogue channel 68, and also whatever terrestrial analogue and digital channels are available in your location. Only when that is achieved need the "magic eye" come into it. If that does not work you have two alternatives - replace the wallplates, or replace the "eye" with a wireless IR Extender.

9. DeanR32

DeanR32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No gobbledegook here mate. Just trying to explain best I can. It is how I explained it.

I cannot post pictures as my computer is playing up, but I'll explain th other way round.

I've run a lead from the sky box to the socket behind it in the front room. The signal from there goes through the flat and comes out of the bedroom aerial socket. I've run a lead from the bedroom socket to the sky eye and the eye goes into the tv.

I can watch whatever channel is on the sky box in the bedroom but I cannot change the channels through the sky eye as the voltage doesn't get to it from the sky box, down the coaxial lead into the bedroom

So if you reverse that, the aerial from the bedroom goes through the flat and out of the multipoint behind the front room tv, but I've got a short bit of lead, which at one end is coaxial and the other is sky aerial connection. This went from the aerial that goes to the bedroom to one of two sky points and picked up signal from it.

I can't explain it any better than that, so hopefully I've done the job this time.

Just to add. I have activated the RF2 by the 4, 0 1 select etc

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    You lost me too the first time, but this time it's all OK up to that short bit of lead, then the details lose me again.
    Co-axial is a word that's used about the cable not the plug, and does "sky aerial" mean one of the Sky machine's RF Out sockets, or something else?

11. DeanR32

DeanR32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When I say one end is coaxial I mean the standard, run of the mill tv aerial and sky is the screw in type with the tiny piece of copper protruding from the middle.

It's a short lead (4'inches long) that comes out of the bedroom aerial socket and goes into the sky satellite socket

12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    The only screw-in plugs should be for connecting the dish to the Sky machine - nothing to do with the aerial.
    There should be a twin cable each with a screw-in plug, and those go into the sockets marked SAT 1 and SAT 2.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  13. DeanR32

DeanR32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep that's it. 2 of those go into the wall, and now the RF2 (?) goes to my bedroom.

I get signal sent to my room (I can watch the sky from the bedroom) but the sky eye won't light up and I can't change the channels using it

14. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    Yes, RF2 Out is meant to be connected by aerial-type cable with the plugs that you called coaxial and standard, through sockets in wallplates - which may be blocking the IR remote signal -, to the extension TV.
    The details are in my post #8.

15. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
  16. bobby19

bobby19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ust bought a new TV for the upstairs bedroom and was going to install a magic eye so I can watch sky. My house is about 10 years old and has aerial socket in both the Living room and bedroom where the TV is located. Can I just run coaxil cable from the RF2 socket on the sky box to the aerial socket and then run cable from the socket upstairs and connect the magic eye onto it and into the tv and it will work?
    I have also had a look upstairs in the loft and the aerial socket wire appears to be connected straight to the aerial wire if this has any bearing on matters?
    Cheers in advance for any guidance.

Folks - have managed to connect a cable from the sky box to the downstairs aerial socket and also a cable running from the upstairs aerial socket connected to the magic eye which plugs into the tv. I have checked and done the RF change on the sky box and the picture is showing on the upstairs tv on channel 68 but the picture is poor and also the magic eye wont change channels. Any ideas on how to fix this?

17. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Which aerial socket? You said you had two.
    What is "the aerial wire"? A cable from the terrestrial aerial?

What you need to do is connect the cable from the downstairs aerial socket directly to the cable from the bedroom aerial socket.

18. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    For the problem, try changing the channel from 68 and re-tuning the extension TV - check the wiring and the plugs.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012