Magic Eye help

11moggy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to this forum and I'm in need of a couple of questions answering regarding fitting a magic eye in my bedroom. The previous occupants have tv aerials already fitted in 2 of the 3 bedrooms they are coming out of the wall about 3 1/4 of the way up and were plastered in. I was wondering instead of fitting a new cable for the magic eye (which would have to come from the loft) wether I could split the aerial in my room tv put a female end on and plug it into the rf2 on my sky box then split the aerial in the bedroom using one for the magic eye connection and the other as the aerial ?

Apologies if i have confused anyone but if you do understand what I mean then your help would be greatly appreciated :smashin:Thankyou

Hi and welcome to the forum.
This system uses an aerial-type co-ax cable from the Sky machine's RF2 Out socket to an extension TV's Aerial In socket, so that the currently selected Sky channel can display through the TV's analogue tuner.
It's usually done by having a wall socket marked Return in the room with the Sky machine for the RF2 Out connection, that connects either to a wall socket marked Aerial in the other room, or to a junction box for distribution to more than one room.
It's not totally clear what wiring and sockets you currently have so give us some more details so that we can give an idea of whether you'll need any more of them.
The "magic eye" is an optional separate device, with the purpose of sending remote control back down the same cable to the Sky machine in order to change its channel.

Hi thanks for reply. Basically the cable in the bedroom disappears into the wall and I'm not sure where it goes ? I have an aerial coming up through the floor to the tv in the room which I believe runs under the floor ! As all the indoor aerials are White and the one which runs into the house is black I'm assuming the indoor aerials go into a distribution box or a splitter somewhere under the floor ! Right I have already got a magic eye and a distribution unit which has 1 input and 2 outputs. I was going to take the aerial which goes into my main tv and put that into the input, a cable from sky box rf2 into 1 of the outputs and connect the other output to my tv in the room. Should this work ? Ive got power from the rf2 output but I need either a double female connector or a cable with both male and female ends to come from the rf2 from the sky box. Again I hope I've explained myself right. Thanks again.

That's OK.
We need to take this a step at a time.
The "magic eye" is only for getting the remote control back to the Sky machine so leave those out of it until you've got the channel going through the other way to the TVs. The "power from the rf2 output" is only for that control.
If the aerial connections in all the rooms work to provide terrestrial TV there's no point in doing anything with the one to the main TV. There's also no point in connecting Sky RF 2 Out to any output socket.
Can you simply fix a new cable from RF2 Out to the TV in one of the extension rooms?
If so and if it works we can go on to the other room.

That's what I was trying to avoid having to put another cable in. Someone's shown me their setup where they have a distribution box, a cable coming from the rf2 out into the box then 2 aerials coming out which feed 2 bedrooms. On the end of both these aerials they have magic eyes. Both bedrooms only have the 1 cable feeding each that's what I'm trying to achieve.

OK - so let's be clear what cabling you have now, where the Sky machine is.
Do you have a cable from the terrestrial aerial to the TV in that room, or any other cable?

..they have a distribution box, a cable coming from the rf2 out into the box then 2 [-]aerials[/-] cables coming out which feed 2 bedrooms. On the end of both these [-]aerials[/-] cables they have magic eyes. Both bedrooms only have the 1 cable feeding each that's what I'm trying to achieve.

You have given yourself the answer in your reply:- A distributor distributes an input to two outputs. In your friend's case the input is RF2. In your case I suspect you have a terrestrial aerial as input to a distribuutor and the two cables feeding your rooms are outputs.

You need to locate your distributor and change the position of the cable from the room where your Sky box is from output to input.

OK - so let's be clear what cabling you have now, where the Sky machine is.
Do you have a cable from the terrestrial aerial to the TV in that room, or any other cable?

I've got a normal tv aerial going into the tv and the 2 sky hd cables that come from the dish. Am I going to have to find out where the aerial in the bedroom goes to be able to use a distributor ?

You have given yourself the answer in your reply:- A distributor distributes an input to two outputs. In your friend's case the input is RF2. In your case I suspect you have a terrestrial aerial as input to a distribuutor and the two cables feeding your rooms are outputs.

You need to locate your distributor and change the position of the cable from the room where your Sky box is from output to input.

Yes this is what I'm trying to explain. So if I do what you're saying then I can use the existing cable in the bedroom right ?

Yes.

I've got a normal tv aerial going into the tv and the 2 sky hd cables that come from the dish. Am I going to have to find out where the aerial in the bedroom goes to be able to use a distributor ?
The twin cables from the dish are the two satellite feeds - not specifically "hd cables".
There's one possibility to do what you want without adding any more cables.
That's to change the use of the "normal tv aerial going into the tv".
Then instead of providing terrestrial channels on that TV it would work the other way round.
As S N says: "change the position of the cable from the room where your Sky box is from output to input".
It would take the current channel from the Sky machine's RF2 Out socket up to the distributor, and from there to the cables in the other rooms - which must be coming from the distributor.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom