Magic Eye for TiVo?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Mark Ward, Sep 18, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Don't have Sky yet, arrives Monday.

Some last minute queries:-

1/ I haven't gone for Sky+ but a TiVo instead as I know won't subscribe beyond family pack as I buy DVDs of movies I want anyway. I reckon this way I can always upgrade if I change my mind and have a spare Digibox. Am i making the right choice?

2/ It seems to me TiVo is MUCH more user friendly and I'm sending the RF around the house via distribution box. I'd like to be able to control it from any TV point in the house via a Magic Eye type solution. Is this possible (its a BIG house).

3/ How safe am I forking out £200 noted to TiVO for lifetime subscription?

4/ Do Red-Dot removing gadgets work?

Wish me luck, I just read a thread on how crap Sky installers are!:rolleyes:

Mark.

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll deal with this one first! Whatever you do, don't sign anything, or let them leave until you have checked that you can receive every channel that you have subscribed to!

Now the rest:

1) I have both, it's horses for courses. The Tivo can be expanded to have 2 x 120Gb disks whereas Sky+ can only take one disk. I prefer the PQ of the Sky+. There are a hundred and one threads comparing the two so I won't say any more!

2) This should be no problem.

3) This one is more tricky. I bought my Tivo just over twelve months ago and decided the £200 was the best bet. Now things are different and I'm not sure what I'd do in your place! Maybe pay £10 a month for three months or so and see what the situation is then!

4) You really MUST get one of these! The best one I've got replaces the IR "wand" altogether and just connects to the 2nd RF port on the Digibox. It changes channels as well as presses backup (to remove the red dot). It clears it every five seconds or so. I got mine from ebay but there are numerous suppliers.

Have fun!

Dave

3. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    4) - you can get these here - can't vouch for service though as I haven't used them

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the info

This one seems to be the best from that site one for my situation.

One thing that occurs to me..Can you still push the Red button for interactive quiz shows etc.? My kids loved "Millionaire" on Freeview.

Anyone know of a combined Red Dot Remover and Magic eye that would work to control the Tivo from another room?

Also that site requires you to send a cheque, anywhere I can buy online with quick delivery?

Cheers,

Mark.

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the one I've got. I think you'll have to turn off the voltage to rf2 when you want to go interactive. The continuous Backup command will keep taking you out.

I never use it. I think you may be advised to reconsider your choice of a Tivo. You'll have to be careful not to go interactive while Tivo is recording. In my view The Tivo is best used with a dedicated sky box. You use the Tivo as a front end and never use the Sky remote.

Dave

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Where did you buy from Dave? Still searching for an online card accepting quick supplier.

Say...If you don't use yours...Sell it secondhand perhaps?;)

Mark.

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Mark

Just get a cheque in the post and you'll have it within a day or two.

As to controlling TiVo via a magic eye I think labGear do a system that should work. Check out their site. I tried one but it would not work with a Global Communications dist amplifier in the roof. I think you will need the matching dist amp to get it to work.

8. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regard to Tivo lifetime service, check out the threads at www.tivocommunity.com there are so many people out there to help, and if things do go pearshaped we can easily do the same as the aussies have done, and set up their own EPG guide collected over the web!

Tivo has its limits, but mod it and you won't go back!

James

9. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a free software red dot remover you can install on the Tivo:

http://www.ljay.org.uk/tivoweb/

It has the advantage over the gardware ones that it only sends the backup key during recordings, so it doesn't interfere with using the interactive features.

10. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sounds great!... thanks! Will check it out :)

Mark.

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I e-mailed them on Saturday to ask about payment options and got no reply. Again yesterday and still no reply so have just sent them a third mail asking where do I send the money.

I can only guess that they are on holiday (though nothing on their web site)

Anyone else used them?

12. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    They seem to be highly praised on the TivoCommunity forums for an excellent product.

Besides, you could just follow the advice someone gave me in this thread..
    ;):clown:

I'm going to try the free software version as it seems the perfect solution, 2 versions, 1 only removes red dot whilst recording in progress which will allow full access to interactive shows etc. and the other removes it all the time.

Now I have a turbonet card it'll be easy* to send software scripts to the TiVo to swith on/off whichever I choose:)

*in principle.

Mark.

13. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Uh, well, if I knew where to send the cheque I would, which is exactly why I have e-mailed them asking for their address. IT is not on their site. You have to e-mail them for that which is just what I've done and still no reply :confused:

14. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's easy in practice too! There is a remote handset key command to disable it, but if you stick with the "while recording" version I can't see why you'd ever turn it off.

Having to manually turn it on after a reboot or power cycle is the only problem with it.

15. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks, It seems to be too good to be true! And I'm sure there will be a script somewhere to autorun it on re-boot :)

I've got a "Howto" printed out on how to install various utils and keep your TiVo protected from unwanted access. I'll have a good look over the next few days.

Cheers,

Mark.

16. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I enquired about the TiVo version of the Red Dot Remover on Thursday 25th September... No reply yet.

Will let you know if I get any response:confused:

Who on this forum has succesfully bought from ITVRegions? I'm getting a little nervous since both Messiah and myself haven't had a reply to our enquiries.

Still, gives me time to work out how to get the free alternative working I guess:)

Mark.

17. Moo

Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He's got a very good name on the TiVo forums, so maybe he's been ill or busy? Maybe he didn't get your email - why not try again.

I got my TLink model about 6 weeks ago, and it's been great - no more red dots on my TiVo recordings, and well worth the money. It came within a few days, and he emailed me when it was on the way with the recorded delivery reference too.

Relax, and email him again - it's definately worth getting one.

18. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one too - no problems.

19. Mr Hat

Mr Hat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are you nervous? You've not sent any money or anything, have you, so I doubt he's done a runner.

As someone else said, maybe he's ill or away. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt and contact him again.

I got a reply to my email the same day, and the dongle arrived about 5 days after I posted the cheque. I found him very helpful and he was happy to answer a couple of questions I had before ordering. Mike told me when the package had been posted and when it arrived it was exactly what I had ordered and did exactly what it was expected to do. I would definitely recommend the SkyEye to others and would rather deal with him than a great many PC component suppliers.

20. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Perhaps I should have used the word "wary" rather than "nervous". I've still not heard from him BTW, but I think I'll now persevere with the software version first now and see how that works for me. Have Red Dot disabled only when recording would solve some practicality issues.

I've seen nothing but praise for the product BTW, I just didn't want to be sending money off (not that I know where to send it;)) and having the kind of wait it's taking to get a response.

I'll mail him again in a week or so if the S/W version doesn't work out for me.

Mark.

21. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, I sent my cheque off on Saturday after receiving a reply from Mike with address and have received a mail today informing me that my SkyEye T-Link has been posted today and expected tomorrow :)

22. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Received my Ske-Eye T Link this morning and it does exactly what it says on the tin (or web site to be exact) :)

Fantastic product and a great price too. Bargain :D