Maggie Thatcher Film

Discussion in 'Politics & The Economy' started by GAZBEROTTEN, Jan 7, 2012.

1. GAZBEROTTEN

GAZBEROTTEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Now this just made me laugh my ass off. Doing a film for Maggie thatcher is going to give the anti torie people ammunition especially when the movie will end up dvd/blu ray and then on youtube from tons of people including americans to see it.

Im curious as to what kind of Backlash this movie will give across the internet and how many anti torie fans this will offend.

Cameron criticises timing of Maggie Thatcher movie | The Sun |News

Im sure in time we will see interesting debates between thatcherites and anti conservative supporters.

2. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,322
    Give the anti-Tory fans ammunition? From what I've seen most of whom don't remember her (you yourself are to young to remember her or the 70's before it). They just grew up indoctrinated by people who have an axe to grind.

In reality this will be no different to all the various plays made of her.

Oh and there are other news sources beyond The Sun.

BBC News - David Cameron: Thatcher film 'made too soon'

Edit:

Anti-Tory fans will be offended? Are you? It's just a film, get over it or write a letter to the film studio if you are. Shouldn't you watch it first though?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  3. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    The way I see it is the movie akin to 'tory propaganda', you know what they say 'any publicity is good publicity'.
    The nature of movies is to get the viewers on the side of the protagonist. If anything, the movie will get people feeling more 'positive' about Thatcher and the 'old' tory party.

4. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,322
    I do wonder who will watch it. Those against her won't. Why would they? Those who support her probably remember the reality anyway. The kids will be watching whatever the latest action film is.

I suppose it says something that she was big enough to merit her own film with a big actress. Blair only got a bit part in The Queen.

5. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,982
    precisely why i wont watch it.If it had been a no holds barred critique ,then i might have done

6. NewMan

NewMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    For goodness sake, it's a movie, either watch it or don't, show some personal responsibility (I know, it's not a concept Labour are too keen on, don't want the proles thinking for themselves) and don't complain that someone might have made a film you don't want to watch!

7. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,322
    Exactly. How many films were made that were sympathetic to the IRA.

List of films featuring the Irish Republican Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funnily enough though the world is still turning and 99% of people thought, it's just a film.

8. NewMan

NewMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    I'm just sat here wondering, between LGS and GAZBEROTTEN, which one's Malcolm Muggeridge and which is the Bishop of Southwark... :D

Michael Palin: "Yes, I know, you came into this with an open mind..."

9. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,322
    BBC - Democracy Live - The Iron Lady in Parliament: Thatcher archive clips

14 June 1982: 'White flags over Port Stanley'

Mrs Thatcher announced victory in the Falklands after a six-week campaign.

In real life, the announcement was welcomed by Labour leader Michael Foot, who said it would prompt "widespread, genuine rejoicing". He congratulated Mrs Thatcher and drew attention to the "many fruitful lessons in diplomacy" that could be drawn from the affair.

Yet the film's version of Mr Foot appears despondent at the news and is accused by Meryl Streep's Iron Lady of "carping" and failing to recognise that it was a day "to take pride in being British".

Artistic licence, maybe, but it is also a vivid distillation into a short sequence of the political capital that accrued to the Conservatives in the aftermath of the war.

10. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Whether you like her and her actions or not, she was unquestioningly one of the most significant politicians on a global scale at the time she was in power. Furthermore she was a woman in a male dominated profession who more than held her own, who dragged the UK out of the political and economic mess that were the 70s and fought and won a war on the opposite side of the world against a dictatorial state. Now I'm no real fan of Lady T - but TBH the plot already sounds better than the formulaic Hollywood action blockbusters I am constantly disappointed at watching - and IT'S MERYL STREEP for gods sake. Who wouldn't pay to watch her trying to pull of the most iconic women of the last century..?

I'll be watching it - and I don't think it has any propaganda value at all..

11. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    The fact that people are mentioning 'propaganda' means it does.

I won't be watching, not my kind of movie. Didn't watch the 'The Queen' either.

12. NewMan

NewMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +890
    So it's propaganda by virtue of the fact you've used the word "propaganda"? Sounds like a pretty weak argument to me...

I suspect this will only be viewed as propaganda by those who wish to see it as such. Everyone else will call it a film...

I wonder - if I mention "xenophobic propaganda" in relation to the movie Predator, does that mean it's now considered a propaganda piece too? I mean, I've used the word, so by your argument, it must be the case.

13. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Look at the 1st post, you've got the PM complaining about a movie. If that is not a form of propaganda, what is?

The Predator movie is a work of fiction, a biopic is viewed as non-fiction, but since the Thatcher is a fairly private person most of the movie is going to be a work of fiction i.e. there are clearly many things said and done behind closed doors in a leaders premiership that will never be shared with the public.

14. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,322
    How is the film propaganda? Will it make you vote for her???

15. Phil57

Phil57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    What makes you think the film was made for Maggie Thatcher?

16. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,851
    Possibly a small ripple from people obsessed with anti-Maggi-ism who weren't around at the time and think it's a documentary.

Somehow I doubt it :)

17. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,322
    I think a few people have massively missed the point. The film is largely about her slide into old age and dementia. It features flashbacks to her life. It's why Cameron feels the film was made too soon. Watching anyone deteriorate is very intrusive. Particularly unpleasant while they are still alive.

18. stanga

stanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    I agree. I'm not a huge fan of Thatcher, but generally would find it more sporting to wait until someone dies before fictionalising their life.

19. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +719
    Anyone remember Jennifer Saunders playing Meryl Streep as Mrs Scargill in the the Comic Strip's "Hollywood version" of the miner's strike? ;)

I think we've almost come full circle.

20. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,215
    there were films made about Idi Amin- most recently Last King of Scotland. At no point in that film did i feel it was trying to get me 'on-side'. it was an impartial film with a generous helping of dramatic licence. as i understand it the Thatcher movie is the same.

21. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,215
    It is not the business of a movie studio to take sides- just to tell a story.

Absolute critique would be just as one-sided and disengenous as absolute praise.

22. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    The was movie was not about Amin, it was about his Scottish Doctor. Hence, the title

23. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,215
    no the story was about Amin, told from the perspective of the doctor.

Idi Amin once proclaimed himself 'King of Scotland', in recognition of his mutual antagonism towards the English.

...hence the title.

24. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Re-read what you quoted me as saying about the protagonist. The protagonist was the doctor, a fictional charter I might as well add named 'Nicholas Garrigan'.

What you fail to see, is the 'Iron Lady' is a living person with a strong affiliation to an existing political party, that is why I use the term propaganda. Whether that propaganda is positive or negative, I couldn't careless.

Here is an opinion from CNN, Opinion: Thatcher biopic 'useful propaganda' for UK Conservatives - CNN

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  25. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,322
    Funnily enough when the film was first touted right wing newspapers said it would be anti-Thatcher. Now we have those on the left saying the film of her isn't.

In truth the film is intended to be about a woman who was the first woman to be PM, lead the country through many pivotal moments and about the sacrifices made by her to get to where she was. We see her degeneration in the film as a comparison to how she was. If the film is about anything it's this comparison.

If people don't want to see it that's fine. I'm sure the film will get along fine without you. It's intended to be a form of entertainment and nothing more. You won't 'catch Conservatism' by watching it. In the same way watching Brokeback Mountain won't make you gay or watching The Silence Of The Lambs won't make you neither an FBI agent or a serial killer.

The link doesn't actually say why the film is ‘useful propaganda.' In fact it backs out of it by saying, There's no real attempt to analyze whether she was right or wrong during any highlighted episode.

And

Maggie fans will glean reassuring glimpses of what made her great in their eyes, while those who remember her less fondly will no doubt come away with their prejudices safely intact.

Sounds very neutral regarding the politics then. I don't see how anyone will come out of the cinema thinking, now I want to vote Tory. The Political world then was different to the politics now.

26. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    You didn't read the second page.

27. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,322
    Aah no I didn't. However I'd still point out, in the film she says she doesn't like Coalitions. What's the present Conservative party in? Also the quote in the text says, 'useful historical propaganda' which is a little different from the title.

The Iron Lady's success will be difficult for David Cameron to bear – Telegraph Blogs

According to those who have seen it, there's a delicious moment in The Iron Lady set in the present when Margaret Thatcher is at a dinner party and we hear her say "I don't like coalitions". Another guest suggests the Prime Minister performed well, at which point she agrees then adds: "He's quite a smoothie." The PM is left unnamed, but presumably the director and the author could not resist a dig at modern politics and current incumbent of No10. The bad news for David Cameron is that the film in fact could do more than just tweak his tail. If it's the success it looks like it might be, it will invite some difficult comparisons. Will it become a rallying point for disgruntled Conservatives?

28. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,215
    Its supposed to about her life- not her politics. and even if it is pro-conservative so what? you think people going in will be Tories coming out?

29. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    I only made a statement that it was propaganda, I couldn't care less at the effect on those who go and see it, that you assumed. But it's not just down to me the UK film council funded part of the movie (20%), which I presume comes from the tax payer. And hence maybe there is a legal issue if it promotes one party over others.

30. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,322
    Again it isn't a party political broadcast and I don't see how anyone is going to see a film based on the life of a former PM and the price she paid for power and come out and vote for the present Tory party. The film covers events in her life and seems to have a fairly neutral view of them as they are secondary to the main point of being a contrast of how she was then and now.

How do you think it promotes the present Conservative party?

Finally wasn't the UK Film Council set up by Labour, and closed by the coalition and also backed various films as 'The Wind That Shakes The Barley' and Bloody Sunday etc.

As a tax payer and someone who had my barracks bombed twice should I be upset about that at least? Did it make anyone vote for Sinn Fein?