Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Magenta picture?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by davee, Aug 12, 2005.

1. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I hope this is an easy one for you experienced guys, I have connected a Screenplay 5700 via componant cables and get a magenta picture. I have also tried an s video cable with the same result. The pj displays the menus etc in full colour so presumably i have an incorrect setting on either the flr or the av32. :confused: help

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is all a bit rusty for me these days, but you might need to check the manual and set the FLR to 'component' output.

You dont mention if you have the PSM or not but if you do, you should also look here first as the 'pink' pcture tends to be the display device expecting Component or RGB and getting the opposite.

3. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Yes I've got the psm, Ive also got a bit of a mental block as I disconnected everything a couple of weeks ago for storage while moving, now setting everything up again I'm looking at the back panels blankly, thinking "what the hell goes where?" Out of interest do the phono componant outputs get the same signal as the bnc's?

4. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can also try on the remote alphanumeric keypad:

'shift' then 'RGB' or 'shift' and 'COM'

I havent got a remote any more so dont know what numbers that is -

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    yes they do one gets interlaced one gets progressive, you choose if its RGB or component....... I use the interlaced output on my PSM'd DVD (the RCA's) and the RGB component thing is still valid, if its magenta you are on the wrong RGB/Component setting, follow the other posts on this subject for the key presses on the remote (remember to select DVD first!!!!!).

7. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I tried changing the rgb/componant setting but forgot to press 'shift' first, now which is that button.....
    "yes they do one gets interlaced one gets progressive, you choose if its RGB or component....... I use the interlaced output on my PSM'd DVD (the RCA's) and the RGB component thing is still valid" Not entirely sure what you mean here Graham, unfortunately I,m a diagram bloke, something the instruction manual doesnt cater for.
    Good tip from Roversd1 though, get the pdf instructions off the website but then print them off scaled up to A3. Can read them without a magnifying glass. :)

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    shift is the number 10 button...... I fill you in on the rest later, have to go shopping....... :(

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Basically if you have the PSM fitted in the DVD32 you have the choice of interlaced output on the RCA's or de-interlaced (progressive) from the BNC's, either connection can carry RGB or Component signal depending on what you select via the "shift + RGB" or "shift + COM" method. Your offset colour cast is simply the pj expecting one type of signal and you are sending the other, sync them up and all will be returned to normal. Of course you make the point that all this is in small type and it would have been nice to have it as a setup menu item so making it easier on the eye. The selection might have a RC5 code (for entering into the pronto etc.), maybe Steve can confirm? Mind you once the two devices are expecting and recieving the same signal it is a fit and forget thing.. Just don't ask which signal is better out of the DVD32.....life is too short.... ;)

10. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks Graham, in simple terms then, it doesnt really matter whether you use the BNC or RCA output, I'm using RCA, I've entered the shift +com code and I now have a full colour picture off the pj which looks good. The tv however which is on at the same time ( for setting up purposes, the tv by the way cant accept componant signals) has now gone to Black and white on the dvd output. Also on the dvd it says composite on the display. I read on one of your previous posts that if the dvd display says composite or s-video you are on the wrong psm input. As I'm only using the psm as an output where have I gone wrong?

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Its one or the other I'm afraid, I have the same issue, component to the pj and black and white to the TV or alter the DVD setup menu to say "composite+s-video" and you get colour on the TV and nothing on the pj (unless you run s-video to the pj as well.....). I've sorted a macro for changing the setting automatically in the Pronto (hint.....!!!!).

12. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please bear in mind that the reasons for this are that the DVD32R has 3 video DACs so it can only show Composite (= 1 DAC) + S-Video (= 2 DACs) or Component/ RGB (= 3 DACs).

Thats of course if my memory is correct and the Sun is in Uranus etc...

13. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    So couldnt they have left one DAC feeding a seperate output.....for those of us who dont have pronto's... :mad:

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Should have but didn't.........

15. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The DAC's are built into the Pantera DVD chip. As there is no digital out from the chip there is no possibility to add extra DAC's etc.

16. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hiya mate.
    One last one before I go off to the pub (last full day today!!!!).

I'll rephrase, "should have but couldn't"..... :D
    I'll wager that if Udo had his time over, he would not have gone within a million miles of the Pantera chipset....... It was however probably the best thing at the time, if just a little bit shortsighted with hindsight...... As I said on another thread today "sh#t happens".