1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magazine Reviews, do they really know what they talking about

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by phryo, Apr 9, 2005.

1. phryo

phryo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After some debate I have come to the conclustion that reviews on televisions are a waste of time and full of inaccurate information.

Ok here's an example in a magazine where they review two televistion by the same manufactuer with the same size screen,and same chassis, the only diffrence is that one has freeview and the other doesn't , now the one with the freeview has 5 stars for picture quality, while the one with out freeview on has 4, but they are the same TV?

2. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Surely they are saying that with Freeview the picture quality is better, which all other things being equal should be the case. ie Digital freeview PQ over terrestrial PQ. Or am I missing the point?

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I think magazines should only be used as a ruff guide. A demo for your self in a shop is the only way to tell, and even then you may still have some problems. The trouble with mag reviews is, is that they dont seem to have the tv very long, the tv comes very well set up and is one in optimum condition where as the ones we get seem to be set up by some bloke who could not give a toss. Also lets see how long the mags last if they said what the tv was really like, they would soon find them selves not having any tvs sent to them for review, and who wants to advertise in a mag that slates your product?. just my opinion though :rolleyes:

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, would you buy a car just because Jeremy Clarkson liked it ? the answer is probably 'no'. The same with domestic electronics - you cannot beat a personal recommendation from a friend or a 'test drive' of your own. Regards, yt.

5. and36

and36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think the point phryo might be making is if you connect a freeview box to the second tv then surely the picture quality is the same i.e the potential quality of both tv's are equal and should be marked accordingly, though I could be wrong (I usually am, ask the wife).

Also why are prices usually quoted as £300 - £400 more in magazines than what you can get them for in a normal high street shop, is this a ploy to make us think we're getting a bargain when out shopping

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    IDTV Tuners are usually excellent for PQ

7. and36

and36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Would an IDTV Tuner give a much better PQ than say an external Sony freeview box, sorry if this is a stupid question