1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magazine review rubbishes Sanyo Z3!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by transm, May 7, 2005.

1. transm

transm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was browsing the local Sainsburys and flicked through a 'home cinema' magazine (I think it was titled something like that). It absolutely ripped into this projector. It said the screendoor and focus was terrible and the colours were muted! It got about 2 stars out of 5. Has anyone else seen this review? Sorry I haven't got much of the details but I'm surprised it is not being commented on.

Background on my projector:
    I have an older and presumabley much worse z1 that I've been using for nearly two years and am perfectly happy with. I got it ex-demo Grade A for 700 (still had one year guarantee and no dead pixels). The lamp has lasted over 1500 hours so far and so is probably near the end of its life (not that the performance has changed yet). I just project it on to a whitish wall (it's woodchip but you can't see the bumps when in use) and the picture is impressive to me. I didn't even mind the screendoor but have in the last year been blurring the picture slightly so it's not noticeable and it seems to look better (especially subtitles). I also noticed region 1 DVD's look even better for some reason.

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I have a Z3 and can tell you for a fact that there is no screen door at all and as for the focus being rubbish! surely that is what the adjustment is for!
    I love it and my mate has a Z2 and the Z3 is a vast improvement.

3. dave_h34

dave_h34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If the projector's native resolution is 700&something by 480, NTSC region 1 DVDs will be an exact match. Region 2 pal DVDs will be being downscaled to 480 - that could be why region 1s look better.

4. transm

transm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I thought as the Z3 has been out a while and I'd read reviews online before. This is from the May edition I think of the magazine and it has a right go at Sanyo! I popped into Sainsbury's again after my post but forgot to look at the magazine again so still not sure of the title.

Has anyone else seen it? It also mentioned playing "the Incredibles" on it and the colours were mooted and the details were lost in some sort of jaggedness of the edges. They also wrote that whatever they tried, they couldn't get the focus to be sharp enough. They mentioned that it had the dubious honour of somehow managing simultaneous sharpness and blurryness at the same time (obviously I'm paraphrasing). The reviewer also was biased in favour of DLP Projectors it seemed like from reading it. The review was terrible. I thought the colours were meant to be good but they said they were muted and the projector suffered from particularly bad screen door!

5. transm

transm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is 964 x 544 (or 960x540 not sure now). I think maybe PAL has slightly more horizontal lines come to think of it which may be the reason it has to squash the picture a bit. Also, my DVD player plays region 1 DVD's in progressive mode which probably makes most of the difference. The projector interlacing is good in most cases but not that good for DVD's compared to the progressive DVD output.

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    think you will find the Z3 is 1280x720

7. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    If you read the thread, he is talking about his z1 :)

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    You must have a unique Z3 then, 'cause by all accounts it's the same pixel structure as the TX100 and that most certainly does have screen door. However, at the prescribed 1.5x viewing distance it is not an issue.

Some people including this reviewer obviously have a close up gander at the pixel structure, which from what I've seen on the TX and Z3 is more pronounced than some other LCD's, and see a great opportunity to talk about screen door.

What they fail to realise, or simply ignore, is that it is not an issue in practical use. It's like criticising a normal TV for having visible pixels close up.

As for focus, this guy/gal may have had a dodgy unit. But they should have checked this out, their review is clearly out of step with the positive views already expressed about this unit.

Another example of why forums like this are much better to get a true picture.

..PJ :)

9. dave_h34

dave_h34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ah, OK. :thumbsup:

10. sirata

sirata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I am thinking of getting a z3 and must admit if i didn`t read these forums that review would put me right off,its in may`s Home cinema page 21
    Picture quality " Disappointing.The sanyo sucks the vivacity out of every frame and there`s the worst chicken wire effect we`ve seen in a long time "

Dave

11. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    The Z3 is known for not having any screendoor and having excellent colours.
    I have the incredibles on a lot and the colours are more vibrant than on my plasma.
    Sounds like the reviewer is talking thru his arse.

12. EnglishJohn

EnglishJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Once upon a time i used to read into all these mags and take everything they say as the truth, but as time has gone by, talking to people and now knowing people in the av bussiness you get to realise that most of what they say is pants.
    You will notice that it always seems to be the company with the most expensive adds in the mag that gets the best write up!! (there are many very good write ups of this pj, and its listed in top 5 at projcentral)

I am awiting the delivery of my Z3 should be here soon!! and cant wait. (£898 del!!)

I like to have a flick and read of the mags but take it with a pinch of salt, bit like if you got to a car showroom they will all say there car is the best, but its down to your personal drive of each one that really makes it good for you.

And many people on here and over forums love the pj!
    My two pence.

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    :blush: must have missed that, probably with the title being about the Z3. sorrry who ever it was :thumbsup:

14. transm

transm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe because the resolution is higher, there is more of the 'wire' effect even though the pixels are smaller because there is more of the 'wire'. I mean, there would need to be more than 1 pixel for each DVD pixel and wires around each one. Maybe the colour will be slightly less vibrant because of that.

15. mcduck

mcduck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Where are you getting that from? Cheapest I have seen it is £986

16. transm

transm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd mention that I am watching my Z1 from a little less than 1x viewing distance (certainly less than 1.5). I am not even sure exactly how big the projected image is but it's pretty massive. I did buy a screen from ebay that scrolled but it wasn't as big and I found that the picture wasn't any different to the wall (maybe the wall was even better).

The screen door wasn't something that I was bothered with but when I slightly blurred the focus it seemed to almost disappear (before my gf noticed the 'pixels' but now she can't really see them as they look 'smaller' due to the wire effect being blurred). The picture quality is probably even better than when it was fully focussed. I have perfect eyesight and the screen door is honestly not noticeable at all now at such a short distance. Has anyone tried experimenting with the focus? The difference is especially noticeable when you have subtitles on. They now look smooth and not blocky at all.

When I first got my z1 projector I noticed a small circular halo on black backgrounds which was a dust blob but it disappeared over time. I have defocussed it and seen a few small blobs and one longish streak that looks like a hair (covers quite a lot of pixels) but that is the only one that is possible to see in a focussed image (as a vagualy bluish area on light backgrounds) and even then it is very difficult to notice. So I don't agree that there is a problem with dust blobs on this projector. I'm not even tempted to try and get rid of it. I've only cleaned the filter a couple of times too.

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    :eek:

Where did you get that from?

Screendoor is the phrase used for the distinct pixel edges which are a feature of LCD PJ's.

The Z3 has screendoor, as do all other LCD's to a greater or lesser extent.

And here's some pics...

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/LCD-Vergleich2/LCDVergleich2.htm

As you can see the Z3 and TX100 have beautiful screendoor.

It's probably because they haven't tried to blur / smudge this phenomenon that I like the detailed pics of the TX100 so much...PJ :)

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes, when I said "prescribed 1.5x distance" I wasn't trying to be presciptive. :D

You watch as close as you like, I know some people like a panoramic view!

I personally find the pic a bit "busy" at below 1.5x and I couldn't bring myself to compensate for this by defocusing!

...PJ :)