• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MAG: Play & Help Thread

Ben-H

Prominent Member
Just got my copy through the post so thought id start a play and help thread as there isn't one at present...

Talk all things MAG in here! :smashin:

TUBBST4R

Prominent Member
just picked up a copy from my local indie that sells early. I never played the beta because I was without my PS3 at the time but still fancied picking this up.

So far Ive had 3 solid games online with no lag, 32 vs 32 is the only game mode open during the initial ranks. Its plays in the style of a full on team deathmatch but I guess this is only until I unlock the bigger game modes and then it will get objective based.

I held my own on the games I played (alot better than I do on SOCOM) which I'm quite pleased with and this will entice me to stick with it. So only a few games played and still time will tell, I intend to invest so serious time into later tonight once the kids are sorted for the bedtime hour lol!

sedalbis

Prominent Member
Played a couple of the standard team deathmatch games. Seems alright, nothing special though. I will stick with it for a bit but nothing has particularly grabbed my attention so far. A few questions I was wondering if anyone could answer:

1. Do you ALWAYS have to respwan in your base right at the back of the map? It's a right pain when you die and you have to spend ages trecking all the way back to where the action is.

2. Why do you have to wait to respawn when you die? Why can't you just spawn straight away?

3. I chose to go as Raven. Does it actually make any difference which team you choose?

4. Can you unlock new weapons and attatchments, and if so how?

5. Every single game I have played so far has been on the same map (one with a large bridge over the middle). I'm guessing there are more maps? How do you play the different ones?

A question for anyone who got the Collector's Edition:
When I redeemed my code in the Playstation Store it gave me a list of what was included. There were 3 dynamic themes and the Collector's Edition bonus pack which contained new armour/costumes. I clicked OK on each one and it took me through to the download page. However, on this page it only offered me the 3 dynamic themes to download, no sign of the bonus pack. I cannot find the bonus armour in game so they definitely havn't been downloaded. Has anyone else had this issue?

Cheers :)

Last edited:

Jac4593

Established Member
Played a couple of the standard team deathmatch games. Seems alright, nothing special though. I will stick with it for a bit but nothing has particularly grabbed my attention so far. A few questions I was wondering if anyone could answer:

1. Do you ALWAYS have to respwan in your base right at the back of the map? It's a right pain when you die and you have to spend ages trecking all the way back to where the action is. After bleeding out you have an option to change your spawn location (Usually 2 options), in some game modes you have a third option after taking down the AA Battery then you can fly/parachute in. ADVICE - Don't bleed out and ask someone to revive you

***!Always chose the medic upgrades at first!***

2. Why do you have to wait to respawn when you die? Why can't you just spawn straight away? Because this isn't COD! :D:D A lot of games have respawn times, it's annoying when used to games with none but even on COD Hardcore TDM there's a respawn time.

3. I chose to go as Raven. Does it actually make any difference which team you choose? On the hole, not really. Maybe you'll find on some kind of basis that Europeans and hi-tech wanna-bees tend to chose Raven. Americans some British and those who want a more current NATO force feel go Valor and a lot of those who played the IGN tournie, want to be unique (But really aren't :rotfl::rotfl:) and has been playing MAG more than you go S.V.E.R.

4. Can you unlock new weapons and attatchments, and if so how?
In the barracks, you get 1 point for every time you level up.

5. Every single game I have played so far has been on the same map (one with a large bridge over the middle). I'm guessing there are more maps? How do you play the different ones? There's a total of 15 maps, but a lot of variation depending on which side you are and which spawn point.

A question for anyone who got the Collector's Edition:
When I redeemed my code in the Playstation Store it gave me a list of what was included. There were 3 dynamic themes and the Collector's Edition bonus pack which contained new armour/costumes. I clicked OK on each one and it took me through to the download page. However, on this page it only offered me the 3 dynamic themes to download, no sign of the bonus pack. I cannot find the bonus armour in game so they definitely havn't been downloaded. Has anyone else had this issue? Not an issue, go into the game you'll see them there :thumbsup:

Cheers :)
Happy Chappy :D

dllord

Established Member
I'm gutted i've got to wait until tomorrow to pick my copy up!:mad:

bailster

Established Member
Just a thought, but could the original poster put a poll in the first thread with the 3 factions on. If everyone votes for the faction they have joined and the poll is set so that you can see what people have voted for. We could then see who has joined which faction.

Stephen Carter

AVF Games Reviewer
I went Raven and have met some cool people on there so far, good commuication is a must to succeed on here. Went for Raven on a whim and have not found to regret it. Regarding collectors edition, i have downloaded all the special features and i have not stumbled across the bonus armour unless its in the customisation area for your character. No lag has been experienced yet, and all has run smoothly. My only grime with the game has to be the amount of damage some people can take cos of the armour they wear which i will get used to with time i guess. All in all its a sound purchase so far :thumbsup:

Where's the medic upgrade if i dont find it first, i have a medikit for myself but is there a different one for healing others?

Jac4593

Established Member
I went Raven and have met some cool people on there so far, good commuication is a must to succeed on here. Went for Raven on a whim and have not found to regret it. Regarding collectors edition, i have downloaded all the special features and i have not stumbled across the bonus armour unless its in the customisation area for your character. No lag has been experienced yet, and all has run smoothly. My only grime with the game has to be the amount of damage some people can take cos of the armour they wear which i will get used to with time i guess. All in all its a sound purchase so far :thumbsup:

Where's the medic upgrade if i dont find it first, i have a medikit for myself but is there a different one for healing others?
Go to the barracks, press R1, bottom option ;)

Basically you need most of those upgrades, get the 50% revive first then by the time you've earned enough XP to respec don't get it that time round (Who wants a halfy anyhow??) just get the 5 point full health Revive :thumbsup:

lisbonlion

Prominent Member
Just going in to town and still haven't decided if I should get this, I need a replacement for MW2, but don't know whether to wait for BFBC2. I played the demo on the 360 but didnt really enjoy it. I wish they would just release another GRAW or Rainbow 6.

Adcook

Distinguished Member
Im kind of in the same boat, missing my online FPS fix since selling MW2 (even though I didnt like it) I think BFBC2 maybe more my cup of tea as I really liked the beta but never played the beta of this. Should I get this to tide me over till BC2? If theres a supermarket selling for a good price I might.

platty

Prominent Member
Went out first thing this morning bought it , traded in glitchfest that is MW2 set my SVER character up , did the training , played one game of suppresion , and a message came up servers down for maintainence between 10am and 12 ******** ...just as i was finding my feet

lisbonlion

Prominent Member
Well i picked this up in the end as I had a gift card for game that I had been waiting to use, hope the servers are back up on time so I can start getting used to it.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
Should I get this to tide me over till BC2? If theres a supermarket selling for a good price I might.
That's my thinking. I got it for a decent price (£33 at Shopto, has gone up since) and worse case scenario, I'll get 5 weeks out of it until BC2. I'm hoping it'll grow on me though, and promising signs are there, so long as I can find people communicating and coordinating attacks, this could be great fun.

If ever there was a game that needed a strategy guide though, either online or a book, this is it. Anyone seen one?

MGRayd

Distinguished Member
Play most of last night and I'm loving it... Had some really good battles and a clan called OLD were on my team RAVEN faction and we punched through the entire map securing A/B and destroying C in under 10mins.

I think as I'm only at Lvl5 I may delete my character and restart using a more thought out upgrade process on kit so I can do more damage than I do know.

Shame I cant play tonight!

jcsp

Standard Member
So far, with my thoughts on mag, were good, seemed like a standard shooter will i got past the initial game mode. Then the game seems to grow into its own with the bigger battles.

So far I have got the medic Kit upgraded twice so I can revive and the Reflex scope on the Assault rifle (I found this the best upgrade for medium range combat).

However one thing bugs be what do the two diferent types of blue on the mini map mean?
Is Cyan your Squad and the dark blue the rest?

If a modorator on SVER adds me ill pass them over the AVF clan.

Last edited:

Beck_

Established Member
That's my thinking. I got it for a decent price (£33 at Shopto, has gone up since) and worse case scenario, I'll get 5 weeks out of it until BC2. I'm hoping it'll grow on me though, and promising signs are there, so long as I can find people communicating and coordinating attacks, this could be great fun.

If ever there was a game that needed a strategy guide though, either online or a book, this is it. Anyone seen one?

As another poster mentioned..

Ultimate MAG Guide: Please read the first 11 posts. - MAG - General Discussion - PlayStation MAG

That seems to be a great guide.

Expired

Prominent Member
Well, well my amazon copy turned up today didn't expect that :thumbsup:.

So far very impressed the graphics seem more polished and the framerate is much better compared to the beta. Best of all no lag despite having games with yanks and japs.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom