MadVR Envy vs Lumagen Radiance pro

This is exactly where my train of thought is leading me now, anything that is £4-5k for a base black box that needs to be upgraded for £300 for each input and output hdmi port to properly support 18gb (4k@60hz with HDR) on top of the base price is making my brain bleed.. However bring down stairs my Plex beast, add a GPU like an RTX 2060 Super for say ~£400 and Bob’s your uncle. If I was confident on which GPU to go for that would give me the best results from full fat 4K HDR MKV’s I’d order it now..... I don’t want to buy an 1050, 1060, 1660 or 2060 only to find after getting it to work I needed to really go for a 2070 to turn on the super duper feature that really makes it all look good...

This will work, and work very well, however, for me, it’s just a massive hassle (I couldn’t fit my PC in my cinema room even if I wanted to). The lumagen is plug and play.....since owning it, it has had around 10 software updates and the picture has improved every time (bar one which has bugs in it).

Lets get a mad vr app for xbox.. that would be:thumbsup:

Yes certainly understand and appreciate it won't be for all. For me I have all the kit except the GPU and can squeeze it in the room, so it's just a case of choosing a GPU and having a play. I've been in IT for years so enjoy having a play anyway. If it doesn't work it's not much gambled but if it does work I could save myself quite a bit.

I'm planing on turning my cinema room into a VR room too, so this kills two birds in one stone. Space to roam around was the issue in our last place, but a dedicated cinema room is perfect for VR as is the GPU grunt required for MADVR. Home Cinema/Holodeck :thumbsup:

@howieeb is there a GPU you'd recommend for MadVR for making native 4k UHD HDR rips look better, I'm guessing dynamic tonme mapping and whatever other goodies MadVR can offer..

@howieeb is there a GPU you'd recommend for MadVR for making native 4k UHD HDR rips look better, I'm guessing dynamic tonme mapping and whatever other goodies MadVR can offer..

I'll let you know in 18 months when the place is built!

More likely i'll be asking you this at the time, though. Beefy AMD will be the route, I suspect.

I think AMD is best bang for buck but for compatibility nvidia is what MadVR guys use and going forward the ENVY is based on nvdia RTX tech... So I'll plump for a GTX or RTX card depending on deals. Today I've ordered a GTX 1060 on an Amazon Warehouse deal for now to get the PC built and try it, but suspect when I build it and push it, I'll end up swapping it out for something faster than an RTX 2060 but I need to start somewhere to gauge my needs...

I think the price now revealed for the Envy has shocked a fair few folk.
I myself thought they might match the Lumagen price but its not even close really.
$10,000 plus import duty etc with one HDMI input puts it way behind in terms of functionality and adaptability and makes the Lumagen Pro cheap by that yardstick.

I am however looking forward to some side by side comparison between the two.

I wasn't surprised that it's more expensive than people were suggesting...people were suggesting sub $1000 mark, which was just very wishful thinking IMHO. That it now will end up more expensive than a Lumagen Pro means it will have to fight on quality grounds. I don't care about nice looking menus, but I'm sure that will attract some buyer's attention too.

It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Pro once these are out in the wild and the initial bugs sorted out (it's just the nature of the beast, so not a slight on MadVR). I'd expect good support from MadVR too given how much has been given for free, though Lumagen is already known in this regard. As is their reputation for free upgrades even after products are discontinued (compared to something like DVDO that is the complete opposite).

Either way I wouldn't be considering selling my Pro to replace it with an Envy, so it's more academic for me. If I was looking again new I would perhaps consider it, but the Pro does include video delay functions (linked to each memory) so I've been able to fine tune lip sync for my TV and my projector in combination with my AVR's audio delay.

It looks like the Envy is only meant to have video passing through it, so will go after the AVR: In this case I'd want a player with two HDMI outputs as I prefer not to put any video through my AVR. It means I don't have to put up with any degradation of the video caused by the AVR menus (I don't need them once it's all set up anyway). It means I don't have to upgrade my AVR to fit with video requirements too. ;) The Lumagen allows settings for sound to be linked to memories too (EDID settings for example) and can use a separate HDMI output for audio to the AVR. This way the video can go direct to the display.

I'm sure there will be fans either way and we'll all benefit from the competition I'm sure.

They are really 2 different beasts, the Lumagen can be designed with different amount of indput and output, and serve as a swicher in my setup, like from my Laserdis source, HD DVD player OPPO, Apple TV Xbox, feeding 4 different projectors, so i have presets for each projector, CRT with 1080P 72Fps custom porch timings, Different 1080P JVC projectors who get 1080P 24fps, and then a 4K 24fps out to the 4K projector.

This kind of setup dont seem to be inside the Mad VR target. However i really prefer a direct from player to projector , for as close to the original source content as possible from a reference disc player, or file player like the OPPO.

Picture of envy pro, looks big, very big

Attachments

• CD03D51E-58B9-479E-8511-F6C7DCE710B1.jpeg
    CD03D51E-58B9-479E-8511-F6C7DCE710B1.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 947
  • 196E0C0F-2429-424F-8147-D7B380F47F92.jpeg
    196E0C0F-2429-424F-8147-D7B380F47F92.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 1,268
Will the Basic model have the same chassis size as the Pro model? I assume the pics posted above is the Pro model right?

Is there any info available regarding if these two models will have the exact same dynamic tone mapping capabilities? The way i understood the presentation videos posted on youtube is that the Pro model will have more features (scaling, de-noise etc.) than the basic model but the DTM should be the same no matter the model. Am i right or wrong in this assumption?

Will the Basic model have the same chassis size as the Pro model? I assume the pics posted above is the Pro model right?

Is there any info available regarding if these two models will have the exact same dynamic tone mapping capabilities? The way i understood the presentation videos posted on youtube is that the Pro model will have more features (scaling, de-noise etc.) than the basic model but the DTM should be the same no matter the model. Am i right or wrong in this assumption?
I don't think the basic is going to be any smaller.

From what I understand there was a time when the DTM stuff wasn't that heavy going, but the latest incarnation of madVR DTM is capable of maxing out even the fastest GPUs. So I would imagine that this means there will be differences for DTM now too between the two models.

MadVR required GPU power goes up and down weekly with new code drops, a few versions back it was very heavy, but recently the load has come back down a bit. However having the best GPU you can get is not a bad thing to future proof. For me concentrating just on DTM and turning all of the performance / compromise back to full power I can’t max out my GTX 1070 Ti solely on DTM, but start turning on / up chroma and upsampling and a few of the other options and it quickly goes to 90% after a few meaning I have to leave a number of options off..

MadVR is King. I've been using it for years and years with stunning results. Its easy, once you've set it up to your taste you can just sit back and enjoy it for a long time. ..or you can continue tinkering for eternity. Its fully scalable depending on your hardware. An entertainment PC is the way to go IMO, my Panny UHD player and all others have been collecting dust for a long while now. Using 4K max settings it even brought my Geforce 1080Ti to its knees but with 1080P it happily cruises along with a 1660.

MadVR is King. I've been using it for years and years with stunning results. Its easy, once you've set it up to your taste you can just sit back and enjoy it for a long time. ..or you can continue tinkering for eternity. Its fully scalable depending on your hardware. An entertainment PC is the way to go IMO, my Panny UHD player and all others have been collecting dust for a long while now. Using 4K max settings it even brought my Geforce 1080Ti to its knees but with 1080P it happily cruises along with a 1660.

What settings are you able to use for 1080p with the 1660 ?

i think the HTPC / entertainment PC days are done if you care about doing the best possible DTM and watching the bredth of content currently out there. We're rapidly approaching a point where there is a lot of content that either never makes it to disc, or gets to Netflix after cinematic release quicker than to disc. The only generally available route for HDR into PC is ripped UHD discs, or pinched content from dubious sites.

i think the HTPC / entertainment PC days are done if you care about doing the best possible DTM and watching the bredth of content currently out there. We're rapidly approaching a point where there is a lot of content that either never makes it to disc, or gets to Netflix after cinematic release quicker than to disc. The only generally available route for HDR into PC is ripped UHD discs, or pinched content from dubious sites.
Absolutely not, there is a PC app for all content including streaming sites. I even watch normal free to air on the PC. Much easier to manage as well. With the PC we will always have MUCH more flexibility then with any other set device.

What settings are you able to use for 1080p with the 1660 ?
I'll check but it's pretty much in the high to top settings I believe.

Absolutely not, there is a PC app for all content including streaming sites. I even watch normal free to air on the PC. Much easier to manage as well. With the PC we will always have MUCH more flexibility then with any other set device.
Are you able to do DTM tonemapping on 4K HDR content from Netflix etc on your setup?

I'll check but it's pretty much in the high to top settings I believe.

Please if you would, I am currently running a gtx 750ti but I am really tempted to get something such a 1660, my only concern is that there would'nt be that much of a leap in quality considering the outlay involved in getting an new GPU and a power supply also.

Just tested on an old Benq w1070 projector and the results were stunning I couldn't believe that projector could throw such an image thanks to Madvr. Checked the settings they were pretty much on very high using the 1660 on 1080p and it was smooth as.

I don't think the basic is going to be any smaller.

From what I understand there was a time when the DTM stuff wasn't that heavy going, but the latest incarnation of madVR DTM is capable of maxing out even the fastest GPUs. So I would imagine that this means there will be differences for DTM now too between the two models.

Yes, someone over at AVS forum confirmed that both units will be same size.

So the main question for me now is how will the basic model differ from the Pro in terms of DTM? If anyone here had the opportunity to see both units and could share some input, would appreciate it. Thanks.

Please if you would, I am currently running a gtx 750ti but I am really tempted to get something such a 1660, my only concern is that there would'nt be that much of a leap in quality considering the outlay involved in getting an new GPU and a power supply also.
Yes for madVR I think the best thing is count the Cuda cores, game benchmarks don’t always apply to madVR as in simple terms it only uses a subset of capabilities...

Are there any updates on the Envy? Should have been available before the end of 2019 from their latest press release?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom