1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Madrigal vrs. Pronto - an honest review!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by General Skanky, Nov 1, 2001.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I am now the proud owner of a Madrigal IRIQ. I've now had it for about 2 weeks and can post an educated opinion of it.

I've been using my Pronto for 11 months previously. Due to the pro's and con's (as listed below) I've swapped to the Madrigal.

My Pronto has now found a new home in Cumbria. :D I hope he will be happy.

The Madrigal has the following good points:-

1. Extremely easy to set up.
    2. Extremely easy to use.
    3. A good size.
    4. Physically (in my opinion) more of a joy to look at.
    5. The power surfing via the roller wheel is excellent.
    6. Both my wife and myself like the simplicity.

Initial problem with it, was when setting it up during 'drag and drop' it caused the PC to hang. It took me a few days to discover, buried within the 'read me' files, of the software update, that there is a known conflict between the Madrigal software and my ATI video driver settings. Once adjusted, it worked like a dream. However, as always, and being a bit thick, I went through the hell of a reformat first. :eek: Anyone buying one be aware of this. That will teach me to RTFM!!!

At remote central there are many people complaining of the following about the IRIQ:-

Dim backlight. Unresponsive touch screen. RF power. Size. Lack of tactile buttons. Limited flexibility.

IMO, yes it's not as flexible as a Pronto, but is more than capable for what I require. The backlight is fine, compared to the Pronto, side by side, the backlights are the same. No real problem in sending signals. But you do need to point it more in the general direction of the equipment compared to the Pronto. But a minor thing really. The touch screen is not unresponsive, it just needs a press for a moment or two, that's all. The tactile buttons and the roller wheel are first class. The roller wheel can be programmed to do just about any function, which I find good in the hand. Yes the Pronto is more flexible and you can do a lot more things, i.e. download graphics and bitmaps etc., but that's something I just didn't get my head around. I'm easily bored with things like that. So, the IRIQ took approximately an hour and a half to set up and the Pronto was ongoing after 11 months! :mad: I know which one suits my needs better now.

Overall, my wife and myself are happier with a remote that does everything that the Pronto does, albeit in a more simple fashion, which is more enjoyable to use. We are happy.

This is not a post to say that the IRIQ is better than the Pronto, but for us it has proved more to our taste.

We paid £195 for it from www.signals.demon.co.uk

Bargain. :)

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main thing Skanks is that you are happy now with what you've got.:) Sounds interesting, but I've never come across one to look at. For meself though, It's gotta be the Pronto pro for my next remote upgrade. Too many bucks at the mo though!!:rolleyes:

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Is it coming to me?:)

4. CRVNOS

CRVNOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope - it arrived at my house and its staying there :))))

Cracking remote, took 6 hours of config to fully sort it. Now it does my TV, DVD, VIDEO, STEREO, AMP, BEDROOM TV, BEDROOM VIDEO and soon all my lights as I have ordered some X10 gear :))).

Macro function is really usefull too.

Steve:clown:

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    STEVE

Always glad to hear from someone else in the wilds of Cumbria. I already have a Pronto but my system is changing so much at the moment if is difficult to keep up! Classy stuff though.

Regards

Nic R, Cockermouth

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I used to 'know' a young lady in Cockermouth years ago. Truthfully. Interesting.

Glad you like the Pronto Steve. 6 hrs. Is that a normal set up?
    No graphics yet?
    Please don't say yes as I'll be ashamed.:D

7. slay

slay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry - thats it finished, full graphics on all screens :)))))))))))))))))):p

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'll get my coat. :blush: