Made some Cat5 cables tonight, just a couple of q's

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Hallsy, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I made up some Cat5 cable as explained on the tnt site, thef ull frequency one. Here is what I did,
    took 3 lengths of Cat 5e cable and plaited them together, heat shrinked at each end to keep together. Now for the terminations< I did them a little different to how they were explained on the tnt site.
    Th eguy on there says for the woofer, just connect all cores of one cable and all cores of a 2nd together to make up + & - connections, but for tweeter separate into colours & whites. Thing is I decided at the amp end this could cause confusion with mixed colours/whites in each polarity connection, SO I decided that I woul dsplit the pairs for both woofer and tweeter. At the woofer I took two fo the cables and twisted all colours together and marked - then twisted all whites together and marked +. 3rd cable for tweeter, twisted all colours togerther for - and all whites together for +. The at amp end twist ALL colours together for - and all whites for +.

Will thsi be OK or have I done something wrong? Just wondred why he didn;t suggest the pairing method for the woofer as well. I realise that the inductance is not as important for woofer, but if you're going to the trouble of actually making the cable up you might as well apir for both woofer & tweeter, right? Or wrong?

Will try them tomorrow, hopefully I'll notice a difference against my twin & earth setup, should do at least for the larger guage cable.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sounds OK to me, be sure to test the continuity thorougly with a multimeter before you plug them in to your expensive equipment as with any DIY cable project. :)

3. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah, didn't have time to test them at work, but I've got a meter at home so will do a quick insulation test before plugging in!!
    Am I likely to notice much difference?

4. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Hallsy,

That's exactly how I did mine and I was very happy with the results. However I used it on new speakers and hadn't tried any other cables so I don't know what improvement (if any) you should expect.

I'd be interested to know how you get on though.

5. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'll hook them up soon, just go t to do a little reapir!! I noticed that at the amp end on one of the cables I had cut one of the cpres!! I was in a hurry at work last night!! I'll just strip it back a little more and solder it in with another core.
    Then I'll listne to a couple of tracks a few times on my current T+E and then do the switch.

6. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is how I did my second set and I didn't notice any difference. Much easier, as you say, as well. The FFRC method can be a bit confusing if you don't have a meter to hand.

7. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well just had a quick listen against my old T+E.
    Tried an eva cassidy track that I really like, don't know why but it just makes me want to keep turnin git up!!
    Tried the Cat5 next, haven't got any sort of source switch rigged up so I had disconnect and re-connect.
    Initial thoughts were that I may have been listening for differences, but it seemed that possibly the bass was a little fuller, with bass drums sounding more realistic.
    Then I let it skip onto a macy gray track, just as I was about to get up it hit me how different the top end sounded. The high hats sounded really crisp, I'm sure this is much different to the old T+E.
    I'll rig up some realys at work so I can have them both connected up and do a switch part way through a track to hear the differences.

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Welcome to the world of CAT5......:smashin:

9. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Nice idea. You sound like you have the sort of job I used to have :thumbsup:.

Now we just need to hope that the lunatics don't find this thread and start arguing about the veracity of any such test :D

10. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm an electrical engineer, when we're on a late shift and out of the way of most management we can get down to the most important aspect of our job - homework!!

What's the problem with source switching then? I totally forgot to do it last night, had some real work to do :( , but was just thinking that the main problem is whne testing between two cables ther eis always one end whther at speakers or amp that you have a single connection, so one cable or the other.

I thought about rigging one cable up on A, and nopther up on B both wored to speaker, trouble is my amp goes through, A, B, AB so there would be apoint when switching between the two that the amp would be shorting it self out (?).

I'll have more of a listen this morning - still waiting on my new floorstnaders as well :)

11. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I remember it well :).

Then I got 'promoted' to a largely desk-bound day job. Now well stocked on tipp-ex and post-its, but have to shell out for the important stuff :thumbsdow

I suppose the 'redundant' cable would have to have some effect on the response of the speakers, but would it be noticeable? Maybe not. For the purposes of a simple comparative test, I'd give it a go anyway.

The A/B switching should work I think. The A and B terminals are fed from the same point in the amp with internal relay switching used to connect either or both. If you have one cable type on each set of terminals then you will be feeding the speakers by means of either one cable or the other, or both in parallel (AB setting). Provided you make sure that you have the polarity correct at both ends then I don't think you can short anything out. Not sure what we'd think if you came back and said that the CAT5 / T&E in parallel gave the best performance though :D

12. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Haha, would be pretty funny if it did!!
    I would give it a go this morning but I'm busy putting kitchen panels up :rolleyes:

I just always thought that you would be backfeeding the amp with it's won signal when on AB, and possibly do it some damage. But then I suppose with the speaker being the load this shouldn't be the case - maybe!!

13. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Should be the same as wiring a 2-gang light switch via 2 cables to the same light fitting. Wouldn't matter if one, or other, or both switches, were turned on.

Anyway, if it all goes up in smoke you'll have more time to spend on your kitchen :D.

_________
    Dermot

14. johnnycab

johnnycab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made a couple of 1.5m bi-wire (3 x Cat 5e) speaker cables, and then rushed to plug them in....All good! - job well done, pat myself on the back - get a beer and start testing.

My first impressions - way waaay better than my previous set of Audioquest cables. The speakers just came alive - and then all of sudden the Yamaha 750 shuts down! I power it back up and the message reads 'CHECK SP WIRES' - I knew it meant a short somewhere. I started to troubleshoot, without pulling all the cables out - it seemed that a LF signal sent to the speakers, at a slightly high volume seemed to shutdown the amp.

I pulled out all the cables - got my multimeter, and hey presto! - found that just 'one' of the strands from a HF group-set had contaminated the LF set. Hence, the intermittent problems - when a bass laden track was played e.g a plane taking off or an explosion etc.

I will not go back to any other type of cabling, except to CAT6 - for a long time!