Made in china vs Made in japan

T

The WB

I saw an article in home theater magazine where onkyo has there amps made in china which shows old ladies putting there amps together.seeing that was a bit disheartning, but is that also the same case for equipment made in Japan, using old ladies to put the amps together? I guess thats what they could mean quality vs quantity control.

I saw an article in home theater magazine where onkyo has there amps made in china which shows old ladies putting there amps together.seeing that was a bit disheartning, but is that also the same case for equipment made in Japan, using old ladies to put the amps together? I guess thats what they could mean quality vs quantity control.

whats wrong with old ladies making amps? :D

during wartime, when the menfolk were off at war, who do you think did most of the work in factories/warehouses/etc? :D

your right! i should put my grandma back to work, at 83 she does nothing but laze about.:D

your right! i should put my grandma back to work, at 83 she does nothing but laze about.:D

hey, give her your amp, she might upgrade it to DD TrueHD and DTS Master for you one evening when Bingo has been cancelled :D

Women always have been good at repetitive production line tasks. They can do it whilst having to spare no mental capcity from talking.

Shoot me down if you want to, but it'll take about 3 minutes to produce umpteen studies that prove it so,

If they start to produce production lines that require tasks to be completed in more than one plane, then they'll be knackered. Spacial awareness is a bloke thing.

<ducks and runs for cover>

In all seriousness, step back three decades. We doubted the ability of the Japanese to produce decent goods. Now, 'Made In Japan' is a bi-word for quality.

Step forward three decades and this same debate, having progressed through all of the tiger economies, will have moved onto which African country can be trusted to produce reliable goods.

Russell

lol! your right, god knows what they can do today.Imagine taking your amp to your grandma for service.

In all seriousness, step back three decades. We doubted the ability of the Japanese to produce decent goods. Now, 'Made In Japan' is a bi-word for quality.

Step forward three decades and this same debate, having progressed through all of the tiger economies, will have moved onto which African country can be trusted to produce reliable goods.

Russell
But do they have the same work ethics as the chinese in employing people with no experience or no care on what the product is just as long as they have work in putting together amps or any other electrical devices.As you said the made in japan is bi-word for quality but is that bi-word true.I was told once that the japenese when testing there products, they test each indivial one to make sure there is no defects.But I have seen some made in japan items with defects, but then again not so much as made in china products.

But do they have the same work ethics as the chinese in employing people with no experience or no care on what the product is just as long as they have work in putting together amps or any other electrical devices.As you said the made in japan is bi-word for quality but is that bi-word true.I was told once that the japenese when testing there products, they test each indivial one to make sure there is no defects.But I have seen some made in japan items with defects, but then again not so much as made in china products.

a lot of real hifi stuff made in china is actually made in factories with assembly lines as clean and high tech as most UK, Japanese or American companies.....and most of those countries employ women on a lot of the production lines......

its only the stuff they make that you'd expect to find in a cheap mass electrical retailer that is likely to have more post-production problems, but thats the same for any country....to make something cheap there is usually a compromise somewhere ;)

well looking at the pics in the magazine on onkyo, they had old ladies putting the units together.Now basically what I was asking does japan do the same? Unfortunatley that link is not working.But it just came to me in a big suprise seeing these ladies putting these machines together, especially even there age.

so whats the issue that they are hand assembling? using women? or using older people? the vast majority of electronics assembly is doen in china as chineese staff are cheaper than robots PB manufacture out there is huge too assembly is a menial task but i think having older women who are doing what is an easy but BORING job is ideal they can earn money, be seated and in a clean warm environment (ok i havent seen the factory) much rather have a 50yr old chineese woman assemble some stuff than a 17yr old with no GCSEs from the UK do it.

I can’t see an issue in what is being regarded as an old lady working in an assembly line.
(1) Its difficult to measure the value of an experience worker
(2) Even this country now recognise that people live longer and in good health.
If I am right, the current government has increased retirement age.
Are you then saying that if you are of certain age, in good health and still able to work, you should not be given the job because of your age?
Regards

Are you then saying that if you are of certain age, in good health and still able to work, you should not be given the job because of your age?
Of couse you can work! All I wanted to know the diffrence between Made in China vs Made in Japan.Many people speak of everything made in china is about quantity control and made in Japan is about quality control.I wanted to know if there is any truth in that.Seeing the old ladies in this photos wasn't having a dig at the old ladies working,I was just amased in seeing them all in line.And in the 'experience' side of things, personally they did not look experienced at all, but then if they are great.Correct me if Im wrong but I think the nad masters series is built in china, and it is a well built machine, again one of the best pre/pros i have heard.Im going off trail, all I wanted to know was the diffrence between the two countries, and if the Japanese have the same work ethics as the chinese? It's like energy speakers once they were built in canada but know they moved to china.Our home theatre shop(upmarket ones) stopped selling them.It's like the english having the B&W's, you guys make the best speakers.Your reputation for speakers in australia is amazing for ht enthuiasts.Unfortunaley the speakers made in china they are crap,( speakers like universal, dali lite, weconic etc ).my brother sells speakers that are made in china they sound rubbish, blow within 1 week use, maybe even less and weigh next to nothing.With speakers I don't know how the japanese are like, but with electronics 'I heard' they are the best.Are they? My brother tells me that some of his chinese customers would not touch anything made in there country.At the end of the day is this myth regarding Japanese products are better made than chinese, true?

the country makes no difference.....if the people who work in the factory are trained correctly and skilled enough, anyone can make something...

what does happen is that countries get complacent in their marketplace.....the UK lost out to the US and Germany, then both those lost out to Japan, who are now losing out to most of the rest of Asia as the old communist regimes are being replaced by capitalists.....

look at Monitor Audio speakers, the new RS range is made in Malaysia.....and its better, both in sound and in cabinetry than the previous Silver S range that i own....

I'd say Japan has probably still got the ability to be just a bit better than China if they wanted to push the boat out.....but it just isnt going to happen as the Japanese economy and politics runs differently nowadays......

as for the old ladies......you ever seen old women doing crochet?...if not, i suggest you find a video of it.....their hands move like a russian concert pianists....

20060203164724_OsZx.jpg

This remind me of a photo taken from a hifi factory with a well known naim in UK.

Fast forward to 2020 I’d say if you take pride in knowing your purchase helped to pay for those shiny nukes you may glimpse heading your way from Beijing then definitely buying ‘made in China’ is the way to go. 😳

Onkyo have cut corners by switching from Audessy room correction to a cheaper one which is poor.
I won't be buying anything from them again.

Breathing new life into a 14 year old thread!

Igor - the lightning!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom