Made a mistake

Biscuit761

Went to Bluewater yesterday and while Janet was looking at shoes I saw a Jessops, "just be a minute" I said ...

15 minutes later I came out with 350D thoughts in my head, they let me have a play with a few DSLR's, first was some Pentax that was on offer for about £285 with an 18 - 55mm lens, seemed incredibly big and heavy, "thats the four AA batteries" said the chap, "they don't last long, its the same as the Samsung but with a few cosmetic bits changed".

Next I tried a Nikon D50, much better than the Pentax but still a bit heavy.

Finally I had a play with the Canon 350D, this was more like it, smaller, lighter and felt good in the hand.

Left the shop with a few thoughts ringing in my head, I will not be buying one yet, waiting to see if my new filters improve colours on the FZ20 at all, but my eyes will be glued to the net to see if prices start to drop on the 350D soon.

But then I get the Panny FZ20 out and it goes and take a picture like this easy ! Gets me more confused than ever.

Green-Cricket-6.jpg

Bill

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
The panasonic looks like a good camera and I may have gone for something like that if I hadn't found these forums. I had an old Fuji and is just didn't please me any more, slow to respond and limited focal range.
Since I got the 350D it has made me take more pictures and think about them before I take them, you can't beat the flexibility of different lenses and feels like a proper camera, but it is a lot more expensive, big flashguns, handgrips, wide lenses, zoom lenses, tripods etc.
I don't think there are many who regret moving to a digital SLR apart from the expense.

Pirate!!

Banned
Biscuit761 said:
Went to Bluewater yesterday and while Janet was looking at shoes I saw a Jessops, "just be a minute" I said ...

15 minutes later I came out with 350D thoughts in my head, they let me have a play with a few DSLR's, first was some Pentax that was on offer for about £285 with an 18 - 55mm lens, seemed incredibly big and heavy, "thats the four AA batteries" said the chap, "they don't last long, its the same as the Samsung but with a few cosmetic bits changed".

Next I tried a Nikon D50, much better than the Pentax but still a bit heavy.

Finally I had a play with the Canon 350D, this was more like it, smaller, lighter and felt good in the hand.

Left the shop with a few thoughts ringing in my head, I will not be buying one yet, waiting to see if my new filters improve colours on the FZ20 at all, but my eyes will be glued to the net to see if prices start to drop on the 350D soon.

But then I get the Panny FZ20 out and it goes and take a picture like this easy ! Gets me more confused than ever.

Green-Cricket-6.jpg

Bill
Ahoy Biscuit!

1. If you wanna flog yer 20, call me! Seriously, it's easy to take the Pana for granted. Would you be able to get a macro shot like the one posted without having to change lenses using a DSLR? The Pana is so versatile, and remember, you have OIS and one heck of a zoom as well.

I 'upgraded' from Pana FZ3 to Oly E500 2 lens kit. Guess what . . I've just bought another FZ3 and ordered another Yoshida adapter and a set of 55mm filters.

Why? The Oly is very good, but I just get Pi***d off with no live-view, and having to cart a ton of lenses, tripod and all the other paraphanalia about. With the Pana, set to OIS (2), flick dial to macro and get real close for great results. Then 2 seconds later you can be @ 12x optical at a flick of the lever. What else is needed? Nothing!

Stick with your 20. Just bear in mind you can get the 7 here for a good price.

Radiohead

Why would changing lenses necessarily be an issue? An SLR with a macro lens will destroy the Panasonic.

If you want to get serious about your photography then you'll soon outgrow the limitations of a bridge camera.

ush flynn

agreed. dSLR on auto with kit lens is next to pointless. Effects of having 12x zoom in one lens is also apparent when you compare the same shot taken with say a fz7 compared to something like a nikon d70s or d100/200 with a 105mm prime, a 70-200 ED or a 200-400 VR ED. Personally i believe that a nikon Fe2 with a 20mm 2.8, a 50mm 1.4, a 105mm 2.5 and a 70-210 3.5 - 4.5 and transparancies picked for the purpose could kill anything you can produce with a panny fz30 or even a dSLR with kit lens.. And still cost less!!!!

But thats for another thread

beachy

Pirate!! said:
Ahoy Biscuit!

1. If you wanna flog yer 20, call me! Seriously, it's easy to take the Pana for granted. Would you be able to get a macro shot like the one posted without having to change lenses using a DSLR? The Pana is so versatile, and remember, you have OIS and one heck of a zoom as well.

I 'upgraded' from Pana FZ3 to Oly E500 2 lens kit. Guess what . . I've just bought another FZ3 and ordered another Yoshida adapter and a set of 55mm filters.

Why? The Oly is very good, but I just get Pi***d off with no live-view, and having to cart a ton of lenses, tripod and all the other paraphanalia about. With the Pana, set to OIS (2), flick dial to macro and get real close for great results. Then 2 seconds later you can be @ 12x optical at a flick of the lever. What else is needed? Nothing!

Stick with your 20. Just bear in mind you can get the 7 here for a good price.

pirate if your interested have just put my panasonic FZ20 up for sale on ebay, item number 280010840684 :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom