Mad tricky question! want to use two paid sky+ boxes from single dish!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sarahgold, Jan 12, 2012.

1. sarahgold

sarahgold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody,

I am not very technical, hopefully somebody can tell me what I can do.....

We have a standard sky+ service which works just fine. My farther-in-law lives in southern Ireland and he also has a standard sky+ service there. He comes over to us for 4 months every summer to teach music/visit. He often says he misses some of the domestic Irish channels, especially when he wants to watch Gaelic football/hurling. Last time he came, I suggested he bring his own sky+ card and we would try it out in our box. To my surprise it worked perfectly! Only problem was that we could not record anything, (guess it clashed with our existing recording menu system)

Anyway, this year he is going to bring along his actual sky+ box as well, so he can record Games when we are out. Its very messy but in theory we can keep unplugging the dish cables every time we want to switch between our box/service and his, so it should work fine. However, I was wondering if there was some way to have both boxes connected to our dish (quad LNB) at the same time, so that we could simply power up the box/service we want, and power down the other one. We are not bothered about watching both boxes at the same time, It just would be very nice to be able to switch seamlessly between each box/service. Since both sky+ cards are fully paid up subscriptions, I doubt that Sky would object much, although technically, one card is being used in the wrong geographical location!

If it can be done, we would really appreciate someone outlining the steps we need to take. Otherwise I guess we have to either keep switching cards in our existing box, with no recording function (like last time) or physically get down on our knees and keep unplugging/switching the dish cables every time :-(

Many thanks

PS resetting our existing sky+ box to allow recording with the Irish card is a non starter, as we have loads of our stuff recorded that we get through over time :)

Sarah

2. acgwilliam

acgwilliam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Hi

Essentially if he brings his sky+ box and card, and you run another two feeds from the dish to his box, you will be able to have them both plugged in at the same time

I'm not sure how practical that is though, as some people have their sky dish a million miles from eir tv

It's called a quad LND as it has four outputs, and you use two for each sky plus box

It may be worth calling in a professional to run the cable if you have no experience

The other theoretical option would be signal splitting, although I don't know if that's possible/financially viable, someone else on here will know though

3. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,487
    A quad LNB with four feeds , two to each box , should work just fine.

Splitting is not possible , satellite feeds have control voltages fed from the box to the LNB , this makes splitting impossible.

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    1. Give one of your connections to his machine and set them both to single input mode which only restricts watching one channel while recording another.
    or
    2. Get the extra two connections made from the dish.

5. Nuttynutter123

Nuttynutter123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    you will already have a Quad LNB if you have sky +, i will literally be a case of running dual cable from your dish to the other box...job done...
    connections at the dish end are the exact same fittings as the ones at the box end - F type connectors... cheap as chips. its a doddle.

6. sarahgold

sarahgold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Many many thanks to everybody. I am going to find someone to come round and put the extra cables in place. The existing hole in the wall is very small and capped off. It looks like its drilled big enough for the two existing cables. I will get someone to drill a bigger hole and connect us up. the TV is close to the dish, perhaps 10 feet of cable in use. I am sure I can find someone in the book to do the job.

What a great forum this is and everybody is sooo helpful :)

best

Sarah

7. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    Thank you - much appreciated.

Yellow Pages should find you some installers to get quotations from.