Question Mad to go Smaller?

TuneHead

Novice Member
My 7+ year old 47" LG has given up the ghost this morning.

I loved the size increase over the 32" it replaced but with our smaller front room now we've purchased a house it overlaps the wall behind and athestically I'm thinking a smaller screen would work better with the room but me and wife are film/TV fans.

Viewing distance = 5.8ft

Just a couple other questions:

1) Any curved screen benefits if you sit straight ahead?
2) I definitely want a 4k with budget little over £500, recommendations?

Attachments

Dodgexander

Have you seen this article? TV Viewing Distance Guide

You need to view a lot closer to a larger TV if you want to benefit from higher quality sources.

My recommendation, if you want to use UHD sources would be to at least go for a 49"/50" model. If you go for less, you won't benefit much from the increase in quality compared to a poorer source.

But it can also depend on what you watch, if you still watch content that isn't high quality yet then having a smaller TV can be better.

1. Not really, curved screens overall are no better or worse than flat.
2. It depends on a lot of factors, not least the size you are looking for and whether you need wide viewing angles, best buys I posted here: My best value TVs, 2018-2019 Edition

EDIT* newer TVs have smaller bezels, so when choosing the size do not judge based on its diagonal, instead get the width and height measurements of your space, you may find 49" now is smaller than your current TV.

anlygi

What's the width from the door frame to the straight wall edge (marked in the image I've attached)? If that TV is 47" it looks like a 50" would mount to the wall just below the light switch. You could put the boxes in the cubby under the stairs behind the TV and run an IR repeater in to control them, getting rid of the glass unit. Bigger TV and more space!

Attachments

Last edited:

anlygi

Rather crude Sunday morning effort, but you get the idea. TV not to scale, but measure the width and you'll know what size TV you could fit in the space.

Attachments

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom