Question Mad to buy 1080p now or get 4K?

Xeneye

Previously MacGeekPaul
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently running a 42" Panasonic Plasma that's around 6 years old, it's served me really well, but I've got the upgrade bug (much to the wife's annoyance!)

I'm looking around and hoping to pick up a deal in the Black Fridays sales, but I just wondered if you think I would be mad to buy another 1080p TV now rather than a 4K?

The reason I'm thinking of holding off from a 4K is that I use the TV for PS4, Apple TV streaming, FreeSat and BT Sport via AirPlay. So all content is 1080p max, I have no interest in paying extra monthly payments for 4K from Netflix/BT/Sky etc.

So although I know 4K is coming, I can't see me adopting it anytime soon even if I have a 4K TV.

So when looking for a new TV, all the best deals seem to be with 4K sets, but some of the feedback from the forums seems to suggest that SD and gaming content is looking worse due to the upscaling.

So I'm more inclined to just grab a 1080p set, but something is making me think it's not the best thing to do?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers,

Paul.

It's coming to the end of the year i would strongly suggest you wait untill next year 2016 before you buy a tv when tv manufactures bring out their new batch in the spring, 4K blu-ray (ultra) is coming out at the beginning of 2016 so their will be some sort of 4k content.

I have just bought a 4K OLED (LG) and find the HD (and PS3) upscaling fantastic and almost as good as 4K. SD obviously not as good but still very watchable.

Up to you really, but I would always go for the best you can afford and hopefully it will last for another 6 years.
4K I think is the future. Ok maybe not the same as SD to HD, but it won't go back, only forward.

I'd go for 4k. Tech is moving quite fast nowadays so who knows how readily available it'll be in a year or two even if you don't see yourself adopting it right now.

depends how close you are to the screen mainly

Thanks for your feedback guys, I ended up getting a Panasonic 680B (50" 4K) in a pretty good deal, so took the plunge.
As you mentioned, 4K might not be here now, but it's coming, so went with it, just need to try to keep the wife happy now. :p

Thanks for your feedback guys, I ended up getting a Panasonic 680B (50" 4K) in a pretty good deal, so took the plunge.
As you mentioned, 4K might not be here now, but it's coming, so went with it, just need to try to keep the wife happy now. :p

Out of interest. Where'd you get the good deal on the panny?

Coop had it for £629 & I added a 5% discount code (MVC5) taking it to £598, then went to RicherSounds who price matched it, plus I got an extra years warranty.

Sadly I just checked and that model isn't showing anymore.

If you are looking to get the same model, be careful where you buy it from as it looks like the free 5 year warranty promotion doesn't include certain online sellers like Amazon/eBay etc. (Have a look at the info here: Panasonic Promotions)

Coop had it for £629 & I added a 5% discount code (MVC5) taking it to £598, then went to RicherSounds who price matched it, plus I got an extra years warranty.

Sadly I just checked and that model isn't showing anymore.

If you are looking to get the same model, be careful where you buy it from as it looks like the free 5 year warranty promotion doesn't include certain online sellers like Amazon/eBay etc. (Have a look at the info here: Panasonic Promotions)

Thats a damn shame. I'd love to get that model but my budget is £600. Cheapest I can find it for is £650 on crampton & moore :(. May have to just opt for the Samsung ue48j400

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom