Mad Men

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
just seen a preview on itunes store, anyone seen it?

It's New York in the 1960s, and the men and women who work at the Sterling Cooper Advertising Agency are some of the top names in the industry. Master manipulator and leading ad man Don Draper is at the top of his game, but there are those who want to see him topple down. Can he maintain his formidable status? Writer and executive producer Matthew Weiner of The Sopranos fame is the man behind this 13-episode original series on AMC.

ITUNES link

Starburst

Novice Member
I'll be giving it a go, seems a strange fit for BBC4 but then I don't think the BBC know what they are doing with their digital only channels.

CellarDoor

Standard Member
did anyone get around to watching this?

Oakwood

Saw it tonight. Firstly it looks excellent with a wonderful feel of the early sixties in the art and costume direction. It"s a long time since I"ve seen so much cigarette smoking in one tv show or film, and one of the plot lines is about trying to keep an ad contract with "Lucky Strike" cigarettes!!
The story, pardon the pun, burns slowly but with a lot of interest as we get to know the characters(of which few leap up as being likeable!!!). Besides all the fags being smoked, the other thing that also screams at you is the blatant sexism of the time.
I"ll certainly be back for more next week for what seems like a very classy show.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Watched this last night about New York's most prestigious ad agencies, were competitive men of Sterling Cooper Advertising Agency on Madison Avenue at the beginning of the 1960s, apply their trade of selling nylons, cigarettes, alcohol and the american dream anyway they can.

A very entertaining original period piece with good characters, no reliance on effects or action here. It looked great and the music was good. Interesting premise for a show. The main ad executive Donald Draper looks to be a family man with some values, but course of the show things can change.

SibTiger33

not a bad show - watched this a few months back

its got alot of great reviews in the states so more than worth a try

the leads are fantastic

GJD

Did anyone else stick with this until the end of the series? I really enjoyed it. Looked terrific in BBC HD too. I gather another series is hopefully planned.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Did anyone else stick with this until the end of the series? I really enjoyed it. Looked terrific in BBC HD too. I gather another series is hopefully planned.
Watched all but the last ep, will watch over weekend.
Thought it was a great show, great picture as well. The script was the winner, just shows you how much has changed since the 60's from products to attitudes.
Looks like season 2 as they call it across the pond just began production:
http://blogs.amctv.com/mad-men/2008/04/season-two-update.php

enablerbro1

Just got round to watching this; have had it on my list of things to watch but have been putting it off. What a great drama, really enjoying it. Three episodes left of the first season and it really is quality.

I've been putting off watching it because I sort of thought it was something else, from watching a trailer, but I have been pleasantly suprised. Quite a subdued show given its subject matter but all the better for it. Very good cast and well written.

enablerbro1

Finished watching season 2 last night. Enjoyed both seasons but think it lost its way a bit in season 2. Looking forward to season 3 though. :)

Pezerinno

Just ordered season 1 on bluray to see what this show is all about as it has received some good reviews both sides of the pond.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Yep it's all set to record
I wonder if they will show all seasons back to back leading up to season 6, one can only hope!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom