Mad Max 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Brilliant. Thanks for the review. Xmas request to Mrs Featherhall

Yes this is the best it's ever looked, but you failed to mention print damage, marks especially in the sky almost like a thumb print.

Also the George miller interview is brand new did you not watch it?

excellent interview.

A great movie, and imo one that would be hard to follow up, yet the second may be even a hair better if my memory serves but it's years since I've seen either, time for another look me thinks

Yes this is the best it's ever looked, but you failed to mention print damage, marks especially in the sky almost like a thumb print.

Also the George miller interview is brand new did you not watch it?

excellent interview.

Yeah, I knew it was new but unfortunately, as I mentioned in the review, it's on the Region A BD, and my Region A player has long given up the ghost.

Yeah, I knew it was new but unfortunately, as I mentioned in the review, it's on the Region A BD, and my Region A player has long given up the ghost.

ahh i see, will not explain on this forum but you do know how to get around that, every disc i buy from America with the stupid region coding i remove. I do not have a multi region player.

One thing I could never work out, was how the writers never thought, we've got a guy called Goose who gets burned alive by the bad guys, so let's have them joke about cooking his goose. Just me then.
A great film that I first saw on VHS and have been upgrading copies since. A definite buy.
Cheers for the rousing review, Cas.
26582.JPG

I wonder why they never went with this macho, macho man.

Anyone buying this blind is going to be in for a surprise but surely we've all seen it?

Its so raw but also has a wicked line in black humour...well it makes me laugh anyway. Especially Toecutter and his gang of wrong uns! :D

Anyone buying this blind is going to be in for a surprise but surely we've all seen it?

Its so raw but also has a wicked line in black humour...well it makes me laugh anyway. Especially Toecutter and his gang of wrong uns! :D

Defo. It’s not a film I would buy blind if you’ve never seen it.

Thanks for the Review, Cas.
iTunes US has released this in 4K with DV & the Australian 5.1 Soundtrack. Also as usual the extras if you buy (As against renting), so therefore no Region restriction.

Oh, & I looked up "Country Mile" as I know & love the phrase but wasn't sure of its origins. ACountry Mile is 10 Furlongs, so 2,200 yards, vs 1,760.
Apparently, in the U.S.A. it is a much looser saying, relating only to going a long way for something & can mean up to TEN regular miles! Those vast open expanses of the Mid-West, I guess! 🤷‍♂️

Loved the first two movies when I first saw them as a teen. I think the second movie had some of the best action driving stunts I've ever seen. Not so keen on the 3rd movie, it got too silly.

But the 4th movie was unrecognizable as a Mad-Max flick. I wouldn't say I hated it, but it was quite disappointing as it wasn't a Mad-Max movie, it just used the name, and offered some token clichés.

Thanks for the review, Cas.

I ordered this on Saturday from all_your_music on the bay. Buy 2 get 15% off, if that helps anyone. Worked out to £18.07.

Great film. Now where's Mad Max 2 4K?!

I always had more of a soft spot for the 80s excesses of Thunderdome that the first two. The first one was important and ground breaking, but struggled with a lack of budget.

"That there is Cundalini... and Cundalini wants his hand back!"

I thought the disc looked fantastic, far better than I was expecting. Considering it's a low-budget Aussie exploitation flick from the late '70s that was shot under fairly difficult conditions, the image on my N7 and 77C9 (watching with the commentary track) was superb. The audio is still problematic, but that's just a limitation of the original production and generally sounds good.

The new George Miller interview was conducted over Skype or Zoom by the looks of it, but at least he's on the disc, and the rest of the extras stretch back over 20 years. It's a great package and definitely worth picking up if you're a fan. I hadn't seen the Mad Max in a while, and I'd forgotten how limited the title character's screen time is in the first half of the film.

Last edited:
He's only actually mad for the last 15 minutes of the film, but I suppose 'Concerned and Upset Max' isn't as catchy.

I actually prefer the rubbish, boxy Australian original audio as it really squarely dates the film. Low budget film sound from the early 80s is comforting to me, somehow

He's only actually mad for the last 15 minutes of the film, but I suppose 'Concerned and Upset Max' isn't as catchy.
"Mad Max - Mad the Whole Time" for the Sequel, "Mad Max, Beyond Mad" for '3

"Simply the best bass you'll experience year?"

Bit confused by this....

"Simply the best bass you'll experience year?"

Bit confused by this....

Don't be, it's just a code carryover from the Blade review, not a quote from MM, edited now.

First two are brilliant, brutal, to the bone and filmed in the raw sense, ok not the biggest budget and some of the props were a bit (you know)
The scene that sticks in my head and always will is the boomerang.. i got it, i got it.... :)

Nice xmas present.. hint hint!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom