Macworld 2008 Thread

I don't see the use... much.

The MacBook can is the same apart from aesthetics and that fancy touch-pad which will be implemented in the next MacBook.

Hmm so its gonna work out at £1100 (£930 odd conversion + VAT) or so which is an awful lot of money though it does look stunning, brilliant innovation though I'd probably at the moment buy a Macbook and an Eee PC or even just 5 Eee PC's! :D

never know we might start seeing some deals on macbooks. if everyone goes for the macbook air! i hope so

doubt it tho! lol

Looks like the Mac Mini is being left behind. No mention of it at all. I was hoping they might bump the specs and add a dedicated GPU. No change to iMac either!

The Time Capsul looks interesting.

apple.com has been updated :thumbsup:

Hahaha the Macbook Air TV ad is brilliant!

Well IMO to sum Macworld up..... I think **** would be a good adjective :thumbsdow

£1000 plus for essentially a shrunk down Macbook with a fancy trackpad :rolleyes:

The rest didn't impress me either, hopefully WWDC will offer something better.

I think the Air looks brilliant and if it wasn't sp expensive I'd seriously consider getting one. £10 per gigabyte for the ssd drive is far too expensive as well. A real pity.

AppleTv just got interesting and I'll be having a closer look at that now and I could be tempted with a time capsule as well.

Oh well, just off to install the new bits and bobs on my iPhone :)

Interesting - the traditional market for small/mobile laptops is a businesses one, almost every bank/insurance/financial services company uses 12.1" screen laptops from IBM/Dell and have done for years.

Apple don't really have a significant business market, and it's not cheap like an Asus, so I don't know where the market for it is.

it' a bit tight that they're charging iPod Touch owners (as an iPhone owner it doesn't affect me).

edit: I'm hating BT right now, the 162mb update is crawling down my line. If it takes this long on BT to get a software update I don't think I'll be bothering with an AppleTv and HD movie rentals until I can switch provider

Really like the Time Capsule, was needing to order a new wireless router and an external hard drive so what a product.

Have preordered the 1Tb version already :thumbsup:

New Itunes out and downloaded - just downloading the latest touch and iphone update as well - how's that for speed from Apple. Air tutorial and ads all on websites as well!

New Itunes out and downloaded - just downloading the latest touch and iphone update as well - how's that for speed from Apple. Air tutorial and ads all on websites as well!

Well IMO to sum Macworld up..... I think **** would be a good adjective :thumbsdow

£1000 plus for essentially a shrunk down Macbook with a fancy trackpad :rolleyes:

The rest didn't impress me either, hopefully WWDC will offer something better.

I remember I spend £2250 at the time for a shrunk Sony laptop the Z series this is so much better looking and powerful...

Interesting - the traditional market for small/mobile laptops is a businesses one, almost every bank/insurance/financial services company uses 12.1" screen laptops from IBM/Dell and have done for years.

Apple don't really have a significant business market, and it's not cheap like an Asus, so I don't know where the market for it is.

Looks, size and low cost will find its market very, very easily.....Oh and don't underestimate women as well! The amount that I know that complain about the weight of laptops.....

If apple TV can handle divx etc (by easy hacking) then i'll buy.

Would like to know that as well. And also x264 mkv support anyone?

And anyone know when the MacBook is due for an upgrade roughly, I am going to get it then, hopefully it will have the new touchpad.
Thanks! :cool:

I remember I spend £2250 at the time for a shrunk Sony laptop the Z series this is so much better looking and powerful...

Times have moved on, when your offering a computer in the times of the Asus EEEPC for that price then it best be good.

Keep up.

I believe this is possible at the moment - using Perian or VLC, however the current processor is unable to handle most 720p+ resolutions. I'd love this feature too... i'd buy one this second if I knew it could do 720p mkv playback.

It would be interesting to know if the new Apple TV has a beefier CPU.

And anyone know when the MacBook is due for an upgrade roughly, I am going to get it then, hopefully it will have the new touchpad.
Thanks! :cool:

I'm sure you can along with a host of other hacks... Very useful dedicated site at http://www.appletvhacks.net/ their sites a bit slow tonight given the traffic.

And I am so pleased that its a free upgrade for Apple TV rather than being forced to purchase a new product. Been waiting to purchase Tunes on it for a while :thumbsup:

It would be interesting to know if the new Apple TV has a beefier CPU.

I don't think so, since current ones are going to get a software update.

And flugger, iTunes will have HD films in h264 and 5.1, so maybe it will be?
Any good sites for this kind of things?

I don't think so, since current ones are going to get a software update.

And flugger, iTunes will have HD films in h264 and 5.1, so maybe it will be?
Any good sites for this kind of things?

The problem with .mkv files is that the h264 profiles and bit rates are all over the place. iTunes will have the HD film's encoding optimised for the apple tv.

One thing i'd love to try is a similar process to mkv2vob for the ps3: but swap the containers of the .mkv file to .mov, without re-encoding... should be a much easier process to that of the ps3, I think the profile would still have to be changed.

Can't imagine why they wouldn't bump up the speed with a new version.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom