Macrovision ????????? re: Sony GX300

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bailda, Feb 14, 2005.

1. bailda

bailda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very strange thing I just need to be explained. I connected my Sony GX300 up to my old video just to copy home movies etc. and then my father in law wanted me to convert his bought videos to DVD so that he can bin his VHS player.
    After reading all about Macrovision on copyrighted VHS tapes, I went and bought a Macrovision remover scart lead from one of the web sites.
    Just thought I would try out with the existing lead first and it copies ok and have since copied about 6 other videos all with no problems.
    Does it work because I am not using a proper scart input into the GX300 (scart at video end and red,white and yellow plugs alone at DVD recorder end).

Hope this makes sense and I was just wondering why it works.

2. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How old is the VCR? (you do say its "an old VCR"!)
    Many old VCR's (pre1990?? not sure, someone here will know) do not recognise Macrovision, so thats probably it. In order for the Macrovision protection to work, both source and destination machine have to recognise it.
    What type of lead you use will not matter (i.e. RF, SCART,etc) as
    Macrovision is encoded in the 625 lines.

3. bailda

bailda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would say its not very old, 5 or 6 years and its a Sony as well. I not actually complaining it doesn't work, just wondering why.
    I did another couple of tapes last night. Lawrence of Arabia and Fools and Horses. Same result, all copies ok.
    I suppose I should just leave well alone if it works.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    DVD-RAM - not right with VCRs. True, though with DVD players.

A Macrovision encoded tape will play, complete with Macrovision, on any VCR. The machine has no ability to remove the Macrovision code.

The reason for what "bailda" describes is very simple; very, very few sell-through VHS tapes actually used Macrovision.

5. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if it's a BBC thing but I've just copied two BBC recent release DVD's to VHS and they both copied fine without any Macrovision remover.

6. bailda

bailda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AH ! So I would need the Macrovision lead I bought if I decided to copy any of my DVD's from my player to the recorder.

7. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have said that it's trial and error. Some will have Macrovision some won't, why not just connect your Macrovision defeating lead any way and keep it in place. Those with Macrovision I have tried to copy without my processor will copy but they flash light and dark but using my processor they come out fine.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Macrovision is a lot more common on DVDs than on VHS.

However, in the case of DVDs, the Macrovision signal is added to the analog video output by the player on instruction from the disc.

(This is where VHS differs - on tape, the Macrovision signal is actually recorded on the tape, thoughout. On DVD, it's just an instruction the disc gives the player to add the said signal).

There are some players which can ignore this instruction. Many multi-region modifications also included a "projector friendly" feature, which was actually the disabling of Macrovision. The (freely available) secret "service" menu on a cheap DVD player from Tescos a little while back, as well as allowing region code to be set, also allowed Macrovision to be turned off. As I say, this is only feasible with playback of DVDs; not with tapes.