Macrovision on progressive scan with projector

W

weborific

Hi! I've been going CRAZY the past several months looking for solutions to this problem. I own an NEC MT1040 projector and have been experiencing image distortion on the top of the screen. This only occurs when using Component output or VGA output from a DVD player and never when using S-Video or composite video out. Also, the warping only occurs on SOME DVD's, not all. I have tried everything imagineable to find a solution. I have shortened cables, purchased better quality cables, tried several models of DVD players. I finally purchased an awsome DVD player (Denon DVD-910) in hopes of it correcting the issue. I have wasted sooo much time and money and was furious to see that the new DVD player did NOT correct the problem. Although the picture is stunning! I finally found the problem, although do not know how to correct it. I took a DVD I knew exibits the problem. I burned a copy of a chapter from the movie (YES, I OWN this movie!) and VOILA! NO IMAGE DISTORTION! YES!! I then asked myself why my copy worked. I disabled macrovision in my copy. I then created another copy leaving the macrovision enabled. Image was warped again. I was so relieved to finally find the problem cause I was gonna open-up my projector and look for a bad capacitor or something. As far as I know, macrovision is only supposed to affect the luminence values? Brightness? I'm not familiar with this new form or why it only affects component or VGA out, not S-video or composite. I just wanna watch a DVD on my projector without seeing the distortions! Can this be done? Can't even find a macrovision hack for my Denon DVD player. I cannot believe that after all I've gone through, I cannot watch a DVD because of copy-protection that "supposedly" is NOT supposed to affect DVD viewing, but only copying. What am I gonna do? Please drop a suggestion. Is there a way around this? And NO, I do NOT want to buy another DVD player. I now own THREE brand new DVD players! My Denon is staying. My projector is staying. The component cables are staying. Thanks for reading and for any help! I hope somebody will learn from my experience. I will return to this post often to read for coments. THANKS!!
PS: Attached is a picture of the warping at the top of my image. Sorry it's a dark one.

Attachments

• warped.jpg
    warped.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 375
I own a digital stabilizer that I used once. Tonight I took the GREEN component out from DVD player and patched it through the stabilizer to remove macrovision, but the image was garbbled. I believe this is because the Sima model I own (CT-1) cannot remove this new form of macrovision. If I purchase a Sima CT-2, will this work? Is there another model that will remove the newest macrovision?

I just placed an order for DVD Red Pro after reading some posts here. THANKS! Can't wait to get it. I says it will filter Macrovision levels 1, 2, and 3. Are they even AT 3?? The Sima CT-2 says it filters 1 and 2. In any case, somebody post something in reply. I'm getting antsy! And I LOVE this forum! I find it so damn helpful! Party-on, from Canada!

:lease: I just received my DVD Red Pro and although it only seems to filter the macrovision signal (on my Component line) when in INTERLACE mode, not on PROGRESSIVE mode. On progressive, the image is still distorted and the DVD Red Pro introduces a flickering line across the screen, thus making the image WORSE than before. I really don't know what to do anymore. I have spent hundereds of dollars and MANY hours looking for solutions. Can anybody PLEASE give me advice before I lose my mind? It seems my only last resorts is to either buy a different de-macrovision unit that WILL filter macrovision from a progressive component signal...or spend hundreds of dollars on a THIRD DVD player that is high-quality and macrovision hackable. Please post advice. Thanks in advance!

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGHHH!! I just cannot believe this. I hope you guys have a solution for me cause I'm seriously losing my head. I've got bending on the top portion of my image using Component cabling (set to PROGRESSIVE) on my NEC mT1040 projector. I have purchased TWO new DVD players to see if it fixes the problem. One being an almost top-of the-line Denon DVD-910 (cost me $300). I've purchased better component cables ($$), I've built a circuit to convert horizontal and vertical refresh rates, I've searched endlessly for Macrovision hacks, I've purchased DVD Red Pro ($70) and spent COUNTLESS hours looking for a REAL solution. Oh, now apparently, I must purchase a Timebase Corrector (TBC) ($$$$$) to fix my problem! What on God's green earth is going on???! I just wanna rent a DVD and watch it properly on my projector! THAT'S IT!! Please, Please, PLEEEEASE, for the love of God...I'm BEGGING someone to give me a solution for watching a DVD on progressive scan component input. THANKS!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom