Macro with 50mm & Tubes.

Just call me Al

Novice Member
Anything allie_c can do I can do worse.:D
Went out with my 50mm & 3 tubes & just balanced until I got them in some sort of focus. Anyhow, click on smaller photo for more out of focus version.:D

Lavender flower just starting to open.

Dew on Roseleaf

Flies on Roseleaf

Just call me Al

Novice Member
They look ok to me. Not easy though is it?! ;)
TBH I was wobbling all over the place & snapping when I got them in focus, most were deleted. How do you get near Spiders etc with a tripod. I saw a few insects sleeping etc but if I had got my tripod it would have been a few feet away. Is there an extension arm or something?

onefivenine

Novice Member
TBH I was wobbling all over the place & snapping when I got them in focus, most were deleted. How do you get near Spiders etc with a tripod. I saw a few insects sleeping etc but if I had got my tripod it would have been a few feet away. Is there an extension arm or something?
The leaves were probably wobbling too - no matter how little breeze there is.

I think a monopod would be more useful than a tripod for getting into position.
Although saying that, a focus rail on a tripod would be the ideal kit for doing focus stacked shots.

I'm a macro newbie so don't have any tips for you - but I believe most of the shots we tend to see are taken handheld, using flash.

jomike

If I am unable to get my tripod into a position to shoot the bug, I use it as a steadying support to lean on. If I cant get low enough with the pod, I use a leg as a brace by holding the leg and camera with the same hand. I also sometimes use it as a monopod with only one leg extended.

Mike

peskywinnets

Novice Member
A can of Insect Killer aerosol is very useful for keeping those pesky little insects completely still while I setup my gear to get really close. Unlike humans, you can't really tell if they're dead or alive - well....have you ever seen a fly with it's (thousands) of eyes closed?

Just call me Al

Novice Member
On these photo's I had to get about a quarter of an inch from the subject to get them in focus. I guess that's because I'm using tubes. If I get a dedicated lens can I take the same photo's but be away from the subject say 6".

onefivenine

Novice Member
On these photo's I had to get about a quarter of an inch from the subject to get them in focus. I guess that's because I'm using tubes. If I get a dedicated lens can I take the same photo's but be away from the subject say 6".
It varies from lens to lens.
The Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens for instance will produce 1:1 magnification at its closest focusing distance which is 31cm. You can move further way but then the magnification will decrease if you see what I mean.

onefivenine

Novice Member
A can of Insect Killer aerosol is very useful for keeping those pesky little insects completely still while I setup my gear to get really close. Unlike humans, you can't really tell if they're dead or alive - well....have you ever seen a fly with it's (thousands) of eyes closed?
I hope this is a joke!

If you have to harm a creature to take its photo then I'd suggest you find another subject.

How would you like it? :suicide:

peskywinnets

Novice Member
I hope this is a joke!

If you have to harm a creature to take its photo then I'd suggest you find another subject.

How would you like it? :suicide:
No I wasn't serious....I just couldn't resist responding to the 'how do you keep them still" question......

1. If you blasted them with killer spray, then it'd take a while to have an effect anyway (you'd kind of have to sit around while it went through it's dead fly routine)...chances are you'd lose it as it dropped down into the fauna.

2. I'm sure there'd be killer spray deposit on the insect, somewhat spoiling the macro photo.

I have no real affinity with insects - quite happy to terminate a fly that wants to chunder on my bacon (as I'd imagine most would). If greenfly plan to muller my roses...well, I'll be waiting, etc. Strange though isn't it....kill a housefly - just cos it's annoying. Poison slugs cos they're chomping on your new flower beds. Eradicate snails cos they leave trails on your floor, etc - but mention killing an ant for a Macro brings out the Insect Protection League :)

Anyway, back to the OP - very nice ........& a good, cheap entry into the world of Macro (pondering buying some rings myself)

Just call me Al

Novice Member
This afternoon I put my Sigma 18-200 OS Lens on my Tubes & this spider was one of the better ones. I didn't have to get so close. The spider was about a ¼" across. It's not like the big ones you see in Autumn, unless he/she is then.