• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Macro photography with D60

Crazy Guy

Standard Member
Hi,

I have nikon D60 with kit lens and 70-200mm Vr lens. Question is can I acheive any type of macro photogrpahy with these lens or do I need a dedicated macro lens, and if so can anyone recomend a good one for the D60 that won't break the bank?

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have nikon D60 with kit lens and 70-200mm Vr lens. Question is can I acheive any type of macro photogrpahy with these lens or do I need a dedicated macro lens, and if so can anyone recomend a good one for the D60 that won't break the bank?

Your looking at spending around £300-400 for a true macro lens at least I'd say, some to consider are :

tamron 90mm 2.8
Nikkor 60mm 2.8
Nikkor 105mm 2.8 VR (around £500-£600)

Below this budget you could look at say a tamron or sigma 70-300mm which have some form of macro facility although not as good as the above mentioned I believe.

sdb123

Distinguished Member
There's no real need to get an AF macro lens as macro pretty much dictates use of MF. Any macro lens will have very decent optics....no need to spend a fortune.

Crazy Guy

Standard Member
Thanks for replys everyone. Would a 50mm prime lens be ok for portraits as well? I've found the Nikon 50mm f1.8 D AF Lens for about £100 which is fine, what extension tubes would you recomend?

OrbitalPete

It's an OK portrait lens on a cropped body. Maybe a little bit wide, but you can always crop down. As to which set of tubes - I honestly wouldn't worry about getting autofocus ones; there's really no point.

Be aware that macro with tubes is a little trickier than with a dedicated macro lens, as your focal plane becomes incredibly narrow; essentially you focus by moving the camera, not using the focus ring on the lens. You'll also find that with a 50mm lens your object needs to be within about an inch or two of the front of the lens - longer macro lenses such as the 150mm ones allow you to be further away. that makes wildlife macro a little bit of a bugger with this set up.

Some examples here I made using a canon set up: http://www.avforums.com/forums/photo-sharing/1058823-50mm-f-1-8-set-tubes.html

jomike

Thanks for replys everyone. Would a 50mm prime lens be ok for portraits as well? I've found the Nikon 50mm f1.8 D AF Lens for about £100 which is fine, what extension tubes would you recomend?

A few things to be aware of.

The 50mm f/1.8 D would make a good portrait lens, but it does not autofocus on the D60.

Extension tubes - The Nikon and Kenko ones are best, they retain both AF (if the lens has built in focus motor in your case) and metering, but they are pricey. The cheap ebay ones do not give AF or metering.

With extension tubes and a 50mm, the distance between the front of the lens to the subject at macro magnification is cut right down to such an extent that if you do not scare the subject away (in the case of bugs), you shade the subject with the lens and therefore need an additional light source eg. off body flash.

A dedicated macro lens stays the best solution IMO. Keep a lookout for S/H, there is a Tamron 90mm macro going in the classifieds.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom