Macro on the cheap - very cheap

• Thread starter Deleted member 27989
  • Start date
For a Sony...from what I read here an aperture ring is required.

Or just buy a Tamron 90mm Macro of course :devil:

You can use any lens if your camera has a DOF preview button :smashin:. Set the aperture desired, press and hold the preview button and remove the lens whilst keeping the button held.

:confused::confused::confused:

But as you can't set the aperture in the first place without an aperture ring how would that work?

Furthermore I would be impressed if anyone could remove the lens whilst holding the DOF button with these tubes fitted.

Not if the lenses use electrical aperture actuation surely ? - though I'm sure I'm misinterpreting what you said... :blush:

Jim

:confused::confused::confused:

But as you can't set the aperture in the first place without an aperture ring how would that work?

Furthermore I would be impressed if anyone could remove the lens whilst holding the DOF button with these tubes fitted.
You have to set it before putting on your tubes/reverse mounting so it's just lens onto camera :thumbsup:.

Don't get it. Are you saying put on the lens direct onto the camera, switch camera on, focus, set aperture, hold DOF button, whilst camera switched on and holding dof button remove the lens, put on the extension tubes, put back the lens whilst camera is still on and your are holding the dof button. And you are saying the aperture will stay the same?

Don't get it. Are you saying put on the lens direct onto the camera, switch camera on, focus, set aperture, hold DOF button, whilst camera switched on and holding dof button remove the lens, put on the extension tubes, put back the lens whilst camera is still on and your are holding the dof button. And you are saying the aperture will stay the same?

1. Put lens on camera
  2. Set mode to manual
  3. Set aperture
  4. Hold DOF preview whilst removing lens
  5. Put on tubes
  6. When done put lens on as normal to open aperture (no need to hold DOF or even have camera on)

1. Put lens on camera
  2. Set mode to manual
  3. Set aperture
  4. Hold DOF preview whilst removing lens
  5. Put on tubes
  6. When done put lens on as normal to open aperture (no need to hold DOF or even have camera on)

Just followed all your steps to try with my 55-200mmVR. Put camera in manual, switched the lens to manual, switched VR off. But just as I predicted the aperture closes automatically and it gets very very dark.

And as stated before it would as the aperture mechanically closes when there is no current to open it up. The moment you remove it from the body to put the tubes on it would (and did) close.

It is something you could witness easily for yourself. Take a lens without an aperture ring, remove the caps and you'll see a small aperture ring. You can not make it bigger.

Now take one with an aperture ring, and by default it is in the closed (smallest Aperture) position, now remove the lock and move the aperture ring and you see it open up and you can see through it.

Bit risky changing lenses with power on ...

apart from that I was just going to say :

You've done it now !!! The macro bug bites deep.

Tell me about it Dave. I was already addicted with my TZ10....

Just followed all your steps to try with my 55-200mmVR. Put camera in manual, switched the lens to manual, switched VR off. But just as I predicted the aperture closes automatically and it gets very very dark.

And as stated before it would as the aperture mechanically closes when there is no current to open it up. The moment you remove it from the body to put the tubes on it would (and did) close.

It is something you could witness easily for yourself. Take a lens without an aperture ring, remove the caps and you'll see a small aperture ring. You can not make it bigger.

Now take one with an aperture ring, and by default it is in the closed (smallest Aperture) position, now remove the lock and move the aperture ring and you see it open up and you can see through it.
Well it works with both of my Canon lenses so I'm not making it up. Surely when there's no current the aperture blades will remain in the same position? As soon as the lens is off the camera they can't do anything.

Thats what I read elsewhere and kicked the question off... :facepalm:

Well it works with both of my Canon lenses so I'm not making it up. Surely when there's no current the aperture blades will remain in the same position? As soon as the lens is off the camera they can't do anything.

Must be Nikon's superior design then as AF-S lenses go back to a secure rest position :D

And yes G8ina I do not like changing lenses when I leave my camera on either, but this lens was up for sale anyway :D:eek: Nah it is fine, but I try to avoid it.

Don't think so. I heard that the Nikon design guys were all smoking pot when they designed that part. "Yeah, man...might be a problem ? I dunno, who gives a toss ? 'nother spliff baby ?"

I think they were Dutch ... :devil::):rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Must be Nikon's superior design then as AF-S lenses go back to a secure rest position :D

And yes G8ina I do not like changing lenses when I leave my camera on either, but this lens was up for sale anyway :D:eek: Nah it is fine, but I try to avoid it.
"Superior" isn't the word I'd use :p but I found this on another forum so you're right, it won't work without something to stop the spring.

The DOF preview trick doesn't work with Nikon because the aperture lever is spring loaded, so as soon as you unmount the lens it closes down to minimum aperture. this makes it hard to set an exact f/stop, you just have to guess. you can get a pretty good idea by looking through the lens on the camera when it is stopped down to the aperture you want (either DOF preview button or just set a long manual exposure).

I'm trying to find the source for tricks to hold the aperture lever open, but can't at the moment. I know I read about it back when I was investigating the technique for my own uses. basically, you need something to hold that spring loaded aperture lever open on the back of the lens. one person did that by sticking a piece of blu-tack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B... ) next to the lever to hold it in place. another did it by folding a piece of paper and sticking it in the slot for the aperture lever holding it open (a shim, of sorts). if you do something like this, *make absolute sure* you remove it before re-mounting the lens the right way, or you could screw things up.

LOL That is the post I came across. Considering a nifty fifty can be had new for £100 and s/h even less I do not think it is worth sticking bluetack on the inside of say an 70-200 VRII :)

But I think if I can get some good results with a creature and a flower I might be on the hunt for an old MF 85 or 100 prime for pittens...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom