1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macro lense for Canon 300d

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by David Hughes, Jan 30, 2004.

1. David Hughes

David Hughes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks

Im the proud owner of a canon eos 300d (and very pleased with I am too !!). Ive got the 18-55mm zoom that came with the camera and an 80 to 200mm zoom (canon). Im looking to add a macro to my collection and Im seeking advice on which one you would recommend without breaking the bank. Im thinking about going for a Sigma as opposed to a canon ,,,,, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks
    david

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    will the sigma DL macro super fit your's? My friend has one and it's very good. 70-300mm

3. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    It all depends on what magnification you want.

True Macro lenses start at 1:1 whilst a lot of lenses that claim to have macro capabilities are only 1:2. In truth such lenses are really close up lenses and not Macro ones.

The problem, of course, is cost. 1:1 and higher (2:1, 5:1) lenses can and often are very expensive - more than the cost of the camera by a long way in some instances.

I was looking for a Macro lens for my Canon 10D and came across this very problem. In the end I went for the Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Macro 1:1 lens. With the 10D's and 300D's 1.6x focal length multiplier this means the lens is actually a 1.6:1 macro lens. The quality of the optics is pretty good considering its price and the build quality is sturdy. My only criticism of the lens is that the Auto Focus is very slow compared to my Canon USM lenses and not that accurate for Macro. However I personally hate using Autofocus for Macro work so this isnt a problem for me at all.

One other thing about the lens is that at 90mm its not a bad portrait lens either.

HTH

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello David,

My vote goes to the Canon 100mm f2.8 USM.
    Amazingly sharp, but a bit expensive, might just break the bank.

Useful for portraits also, although I find it a bit too sharp for some portraits, people dont like every wrinkle revealed. Great for child portraits though, as with the 1.6X (160mm)you are well away from the subject, and kids dont have wrinkles and spots.

Never used the Sigma or Tamron myself.

There are some great macro examples here at Frank Phillips site.
    Some of those shots are with the Sigma 105mm and look good :)

The Canon MP-E 65mm macro looks great, but would break the bank for sure :(

Dont forget a sturdy tripod and a macro flash - the Canon MT-24EX flash is great, but expensive.

Good luck!

Mark.

5. David Hughes

David Hughes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks folks for all your help and advice, as usual - this forum is a great help if you're coming unstuck with problems such as this !!

6. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i just ordered th e sigma 105mm.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  7. jomike

jomike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +496
    No, both the Sigma and Tamron magnify to 1:1. This means that an object about 22mm X 15mm will fill a crop sensor DSLR frame.

What the extra 15mm does is get you more working distance. The front element of the Tamron 90mm macro will be 95mm from the subject at 1:1 magnification, the Sigma 105mm macro will be 121mm from the subject for the same magnification.

Edit: This was meant to be a reply to this thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789742

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008