Macro Lens?

DolbyDan

Thinking of getting a macro lens, but not sure what focal length. I would really like a 60mm as it would also fill the gap in my lens collection, but I'm worried I will have to have the camera ridiculously close to the subject.

Nikkor 60mm F/2.8G
Sigma 105or150mm

Any thoughts?

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
It really depend on what your going shoot,and how your going to light the subject ?

:)
+1 - and don't forget the well respected Tamron 90mm as well :smashin:

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
The Sigma 150mm f2,8 was my first "real lens" and I still rate it very highly as do many others. The working distance of just over 12 inches is great for most floral and insect work. IMHO 60mm would put you too close to most live subjects.

eddiewood

Distinguished Member
The Sigma 150mm f2,8 was my first "real lens" and I still rate it very highly as do many others. The working distance of just over 12 inches is great for most floral and insect work. IMHO 60mm would put you too close to most live subjects.
Yup.

A minimum of 90mm for an all purpose macro, hence the Tamron recommended above. Highly recommend it myself.

Of course if you can afford the Sigma 105mm it is slightly better or anything longer then go for it.

A 90mm makes a nice portrait lens too, but be aware that macro lenses are slow to AF for anything other than macro, which you'll be in manual for anyway.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
I have the 60mm Nikkor. It's a stunning lens, but does have a rather close working distance. It's never been a major problem, and as long as your technique is good you can still get good insect shots.

It's also a fantastic portrait lens. :smashin:

HAWK-EYE

lenstip.com is a good source for lens ratings.

Most macros are about the same between f8-f14 resolution wise but if you need a really sharp prime macro between f2.8-f14 Nikon 60 or 105 delivers.

Working distance at 1:1 you get about 6" for the 100mm macros.

DolbyDan

Thankyou peeps, I'll probably go down Camera-World and have a go at the Nikkor 60mm, Tammy 90mm and Sigma 105mm.

The Nikkor 60mm is really shouting at me as it will be usefull in my portrait stuff.

eddiewood

Distinguished Member
Thankyou peeps, I'll probably go down Camera-World and have a go at the Nikkor 60mm, Tammy 90mm and Sigma 105mm.

The Nikkor 60mm is really shouting at me as it will be usefull in my portrait stuff.
The working distance is too short IMO. Buy a macro for macro work, not portrait work, you can get a cheap 50mm f1.8 for that.

DolbyDan

Thanks probably will then look at the Tamron 90mm and the 105mm

I find that that my 100mm I still have to get too close at time...I would got for the 150mm or 200mm even...

A tip, if you can find a Cosina 100mm F3.5 including the matching 1:1 adapter, it is a bargain and very good quality...Shame it feels so cheap but a fantastic quality lens for less than £100...