Macro lens advice

samsav

Established Member
Reaction score
Can these be used as a normal lens?

If so how do you activate the macro feature - I know being thick on all that but I just cannot seem to figure it out

thanks

sam

Almost all macro lenses can be used as a normal lens - the exception is the canon mpe-65.

The macro function is just its ability to focus very closely (i.e. subject is very close to the lens). Also macro lenses tend to have much finer focusing systems (both AF and manual) , these do tend to be slower than normal lenses.

For example I have a tamron 90f2.8Di, an excelent 90mm potrait lens, but focuses down to about 6-8cm or something, and like most macro lenses does '1:1" , where a 1mm long subject is projected onto the sensor at a length of 1mm.

There are also a number of lenses which are labelled as 'macro' which are simply standard zooms which a fairly close minimum focusing distance, and which typically will only to 1:4 magnification.

What Camera / Lens combination are you thinking of (or have and are confused about)? Knowing this would help someone give more specific advice.

(And don't worry about not figuring something out - there are a lot of things with DLSR that are only obvious when you know them - aperture is a fine example of this).

Can these be used as a normal lens?

If so how do you activate the macro feature - I know being thick on all that but I just cannot seem to figure it out

thanks

sam
Yes, normal lens and ultra close-up. That's the beauty of this type of optic assuming it's a dedicated macro 1:1 magnification. Anything else is a sort of close-up lens and not true macro.

Have a look at the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 AF Di 1:1 Macro. You can almost touch the subject and still get focus and at the same time use it as a standard prime lens. One of the better affordable ones.

if you dont want to go to the expence of 1:1 macro, try something like the sigma 70-300dg apo 1:2. good allrounder

I really don't know what I want, except that I would like to do some macro work.

The older non AFS Nikon 105mm is probably what I am after and would sell the 28-200 zoom that I have to finance it.

The newer afs is just too expensive.

sam

Or try and source a Vivitar/Cosina/ProMaster/Voightlander 100mm f/3.5 'plastic fantastic' which is a 1:2 macro with a 1:1 adapter lens, but the 1:1 makes the image soft around the edge, so best used in 1:2 mode. Arguably one of the best budget macro's about, though it feels cheap and has the AF motor from a coffee grinder, the optics are excellent.

I had the Vivitar version and you can see images taken with it on my flickr.

See item: 270669632624

Last edited:
...or try a Raynox DCR150 or DCR250 which simply clips on to an existsing lens :)

JIm

I just had a quick check the raynox is not bad at around £30.

Would this just fit onto a 50mm prime?

Also would the camera still auto focus?

thanks

sam

I just had a quick check the raynox is not bad at around £30.

Would this just fit onto a 50mm prime?

Also would the camera still auto focus?

thanks

sam

Yes it screws into a clip on adapter that will fit a variety of filter sizes on lense - and auto lenses still meter and focus in auto - but you may find it easier to manually focus for macro work as the detail is so small.

Jim

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom