Macintosh Verses MS Windows users

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Darth Vader, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I can see most of you post questions on Windows PC problems. Are there any Apple Mac owners out there?.

I DON'T want to start a "Windoze Vs Apple Cack" debate though guys!.

I'm just curious about the Mac-Windows ratio on this forum.

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I use a mac 99% of the time. I'm a designer so its fairly standard equipment for me but I have to use PCs now and again - for testing mainly. I prefer using a mac without a doubt - but I guess its just what i'm used to.

As for home cinema on a mac - it just doesn't happen.

3. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you say is ironic about Macs and HC, because Mac's are used in the actual filmaking side of things a lot. For example in audio post production and sound mixing Mac's are THE standard computer to use. They are used to run almost all "Pro Tools" systems that are quickly becoming the standard sound editing and digital mixing systems used in post productions.

I too own a Mac at home but have had expirence on Windows PC's and find Mac's easier and more fun to use.

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    It does seem a little odd that you can go into a Mac dealer buy a machine off the shelf that is capable of broadcast quality video editing or pro audio studio use - really powerful, stable computers - and yet its damn difficult to get a 5.1 output from it for simple home cinema use.

I think its something Apple should really look seriously at - they are pushing the DVD format with built in writers and editing software as standard but the sound side of things seems to have been forgotten.

Still - they make damn fine computers:)

5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tomson

In my experience there not as stable in a professional set up as Apple would have you believe. They "falldown" a quite lot in the "Protools" systems I mentioned in my previous reply. These Mac's are "helped" with the use of lots of external DSP cards via a breakout PCI system. It needs this "help" as it is being used as fully featured mixing console (e.g. there can be up to 96 inputs running at the same time!). So in essence the Mac's main CPU is not overloaded by the audio processing, routing, SCSI bus, DSP processing, etc....

Yet my machine at home which has a Protools LE set up (which runs on the main CPU only and does not use any external DSP) performs perfectly. Although I don't run 96 inputs at the same time!.

I'm no expert on HCPC's as I prefer to get my HC kicks on standalone hardware.
    When you say that it is difficult to get a 5.1 output on a Mac, what do you mean exactly?. Is there no software or system that outputs a 5.1 digital or decoded analogue stream out via USB or Fire Wire?. What about PCI soundcards that output 5.1 like a Windows PC? (not much use for iMac owners!).

6. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    They're still a lot more stable than their PC counterparts.
    But, like any computer - you really push it and its going to come unstuck sooner or later. If you want true never-fall-down technology you have to go the hardware route and bypass the computer completely - or just use it as a software synth maybe run Reason or something similar.I've know people who have done live performances using a computer based sequencer and its all gone horribly wrong.

In terms of consumer level sound options for a mac things are very limited - plenty of high end stuff but not much you can walk into a hight street shop and buy. It might be changing now tho. I too prefer the non computer route when it comes to HC - i spend enough time using computers as it is.

What mac do you have?
    I currently have a G4 733, with about a gig or so of ram and about 140 gigs of hard drives. I've just started using OS X (due to photoshop 7 being lauched as thats my main tool) and it seems an really stable platform now. Not managed to trip it up, Yet!

An interesting article:

http://www.apple.com/creative/musicaudio/surroundtour/

7. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi tomson

Unfortuantly my system at home is only a Blue & White 450Mhz G3 running OS 9.2.2 with 896 Mb's of RAM and a 60Gb HD .
    I can't afford to upgrade to a G4 as yet, perhaps next year!. It still does the job for me as far the applications I run. The Protools LE system I mentioned I run is only a demo borrowed from work so it won't allow me to save any changes or settings, it's purpose is to let me get a feel for the system I sometimes use at work. I work as an audio engineer at a film studio in case you were wondering!. My "Proper" system on my home setup is a music production setup consisting of: Cubase 5, a Yamaha SW1000XG sound/synth card and a Yamaha DSP Factory mixer card. This "proper" system is only a (expensive) hobby and just used for fun and not as a career. Your probably right about spending to much time in front of a computer I spend far to much time in front of various screens at work AND at home so I will be calming down a bit in the summer (If the weather gets better!).

8. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still cherish my Amiga 4000 which sits quietly in a bedroom not far away from me :)

Autoconfig.....now pity microsoft couldnt do that on the PC...