• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Macbook specification advice please

PanMan

Standard Member
Hello all,

My wife has a 20" Imac 2.1Ghz with 2.5Gb of RAM. Costco are currently offering a white macbook 13.3" with an Intel 2.4 ghz processor (and intel graphics), 2gb of RAM and an 160Gb HD for £735. Unfortunately, I know little about Macs, and as its a pressie, can anyone tell me if this is: a) comparably powerful to her desktop? b) Is this a good price? and c) outdated, and about to be replaced by something much better!?

Thanks in advance

istanbul05

Established Member
Well from the specs you have provided, the performance shouldn't be too different between the machines. The price seems 'okay'.

However a new aluminium Macbook has already been released. See:

Apple (United Kingdom) - MacBook

The advantages of the new one are a much better graphics card, aluminium unibody, and a glass trackpad. This version was released in October 08, and is likely to represent what the future Macbooks will be like.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

ourjon

Established Member
It has been replaced very recently by a new but more expensive Macbook. You should look here for more details.

Apple (United Kingdom) - MacBook

Current pricing is here

MacBook - Apple Store (U.K.)

It's very hard to find any reductions in pricing. More likely to get a freebie gift with it (if at all) than money off.

The costco spec is slightly different than the current Apple version in certain aspects. I think the Costco model may be the older white Macbook.

My daughter has the 13" backlit keyboard Macbook and it is fabulous!

Good luck!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom