Macbook Pro to AV Receiver

mikeclark007

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Struggling to find an answer to this on the net so thought i'd ask the knowledgable peeps here.

All I want to do is display the image from my Macbook onto my TV - but through my AVR if possible.

Its a new Macbook so it has the mini display (Thunderbolt) port thats also capable of carrying audio.

I've just bought the necessary adapter here plus a 3m HDMI cable, plugged it into the front mounted AVR and I get nothing other than what appears to be a broken signal :confused:

Any ideas?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Does it work direct to the Display?

What resolution is the Display device?

Keep in mid the Display may work with a wider range of input signal formats than the AVR supports!

Ideally you want to set the Mac to Output a signal in the native format of the Display (assuming the AVR supports it).

You have toggled the Mac to Output a signal via the external port – with the AVR in the signal path the MAC may not automatically know there is a display connected to its output port!

Joe

Joe Fernand said:
Does it work direct to the Display?

What resolution is the Display device?

Keep in mid the Display may work with a wider range of input signal formats than the AVR supports!

Ideally you want to set the Mac to Output a signal in the native format of the Display (assuming the AVR supports it).

You have toggled the Mac to Output a signal via the external port – with the AVR in the signal path the MAC may not automatically know there is a display connected to its output port!

Joe

Hi Joe

Thanks for the reply. I did very briefly attempt putting it directly to the TV and this didn't work either. I only did this to eliminate the idea of there being a fault with the Cable / Adapter - didn't even think of the resolution so will try altering that later but thought my TV adjusted itself accordingly.

It's maybe something I need to play with on the MAC but not sure of how to "toggle the Mac to Output a signal via the external port". Again I thought just plugging the cable from one device to the other would be enough.

This still does not appear to work. The Mac picks up both the AVR and TV when hooked up to each but toggling between the different resolution settings still leaves me with a blank screen.
Maybe a faulty cable / adapter.

I think MAC’s are designed to not work with low cost/quality after-market accessories 

With the TV connected directly to the adapter + cable are you setting the MAC to ‘Mirror’ or ‘Desktop Extension’ ?

I’ve had to use the ‘Gather’ button in the Preference settings in the past to find the second display and use Identify to find out which Display is 1 and which is 2.

Could both Windows be sitting one behind the other on one Display and you need to drag one over to the second Display?

Joe

I think MAC's are designed to not work with low cost/quality after-market accessories 

With the TV connected directly to the adapter + cable are you setting the MAC to ‘Mirror' or ‘Desktop Extension' ?

I've had to use the ‘Gather' button in the Preference settings in the past to find the second display and use Identify to find out which Display is 1 and which is 2.

Could both Windows be sitting one behind the other on one Display and you need to drag one over to the second Display?

Joe

I've tried seemingly every combination of every setting (mirroring being what i'm after) but still get nothing on the TV although the MAC picks up both the TV (directly) and the AVR :confused:

Last edited:
You are outputing TV resolutions like 1080p @ 60hz for example?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom