Macbook Pro - Thinking of selling...

WhiteEyedGecko

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a June 2008 Macbook Pro. It's a 2.5Ghz model, 250GB HDD and upgraded to 4GB ram. I'm thinking of selling it as much as I love the thing.

Money is getting a bit tight and the power adapter has just gone on me and I don't have the money to replace it among other things. The screen has a slight burn mark on it - it's a known problem to shutting the lid on a hot Macbook Pro. Can only be seen when the screen is showing black. Sounds worse then it is.

I've looked after it like a baby, cleaning it atleast once a week with a special solution called iKlean but times are hard.

Mac2Sell quotes £740. Besides it having no adapter and the slight screen issue it only has a small scratch on the back. I have the original disks, 2GB ram, manuals and even have a backpack style case for it that I would include but not the original box (it was thrown out when we moved). Would £600 be reasonable would you say?

Depending on if I sell it or not, I'll also have a copy of Office for Mac 2008 (with 3 serials, 1 used but reusable and 2 new). How much could that go for?

Thanks.

Unfortunately the 2008 model has a poor 512mb graphics card, and no HDMI port, the screen isnt even full HD, for the price of £750 many people would rather go with the newer windows 7 os laptops running intel's new core i7 technology, with no power adapter im sorry but i dont think youl be looking anywhere near 750..if i had the money ill be willing to give you £500 max inc delivery and replaced charger but ill have to get the funds from somewhere and also find out about the screen burn that sounds nasty! A new Dell FULL HD LED screen with 2.93ghz intel i7 and windows 7 64 bit, 6gb ram and amazing GPU's for around £850 (not inc internet discount) i think £750 is bieng a bit too optimistic.

Figured. The screen "burn" is basically a shine on the screen and can be seen on black. It's a known problem in the mac community. I've tried to photo the problem before but the camera doesn't pick it up. It isn't a big deal and Apple told me they would change it for free if I took out Applecare but I just don't have the funds.

What size is the screen?

Is it a 17" model, and if so what is the resolution?

Cheers

Can I remind people, not to do trades on this thread, this thread solely for finding out a fair price for the laptop before it goes to sale. Don't use this thread as a trading thread, that's for the classifieds

It's 15" screen with a resolution of 1440x900. dc8900, I didn't make it as a "To Sell" thread, sorry if it seems to be going that way.

I think someone doesn't appreciate the value of secondhand Macbook's ;-) The 512Mb is actually the best one available for those Macbooks. A powersupply will be around £90, personally I would try and stretch to buy one a) so that you can demonstrate a working MBP and b) lazy buyers won't pass you by...

I've never heard of that screen burn though, do I get it right that its is on the protective 'glass' and not the panel itself? That is a bit of a bummer and will scare a few people off...Unless you are already in applecare you can't buy it anymore so unfortunately I think as well that £600 is pushing your luck...

It's 15" screen with a resolution of 1440x900. dc8900, I didn't make it as a "To Sell" thread, sorry if it seems to be going that way.

No worries :thumbsup: I know you didn't intend to but I thought I'd just remind people before a mod came across this thread :smashin:

back to the topic of thread, I personally wouldn't pay no more than £400, maybe 500 at a push, mainly because of the hassle of getting a charger and this screen burn thing

I really don't know what the "burn" thing is. It appeared after playing a game on the Macbook the following morning. It's in the shape of this: |---

It's like a shine, it's hard to explain. I wasn't expecting £740, I just stated what Mac2Sell said it was worth. I knew it was OTT :)

There was a scare with 8600m chips a year or two back but I have NEVER had a problem with mine. I've played a lot of WoW on it too ;)

soory for the misunderstanding but i meant the actual gpu, is 512mb 8600, wheras newer models have better Gfx cards thus i said they are poor as it was comparisn between other models, and macbooks do not have hdmi ports...they have DVA which could give the same quality as HDMI, its mch easier to have a HDMI port....as i was saying many people would rather buy a better spec i7 laptop for cheaper or relatively same price than £750 when put into persepctive against the website that quoted the £750...no offence intended WhiteEyedGecko. Just a opinion

soory for the misunderstanding but i meant the actual gpu, is 512mb 8600, wheras newer models have better Gfx cards thus i said they are poor as it was comparisn between other models, and macbooks do not have hdmi ports...they have DVA which could give the same quality as HDMI, its mch easier to have a HDMI port....as i was saying many people would rather buy a better spec i7 laptop for cheaper or relatively same price than £750 when put into persepctive against the website that quoted the £750...no offence intended WhiteEyedGecko. Just a opinion

None taken :D Best shot would be £480 then? Don't you agree?

I reckon if you work hard and just persuade macbook lovers you may just get a punter for £550 if youre lucky, otherwise i think a list price of £500 would be spot on!:thumbsup:

[Mod Comment: This thread is not where deals are to be made]

Last edited by a moderator:
Where would anyone recommend I list it? To be honest I'd rather sell "as is". I'll obviously list everything that is "wrong" with it.

There is the classifieds forums (click on the home page, and go the classifieds sections) that way you will avoid fees, all negotiations on price are done on public and when a price is agreed you can to private messages to exchange details

ebay, bigger audience but ebay and paypal fees to pay and a chance of a rip off merchant

I'd say the forums classifieds section! :thumbsup:

Here on AVF classifieds of course :D

But be prepared for haggling, we do like a haggle on AVF so list it just above what you want and be prepared to move a little. I might even have a haggle myself as I want to get into iPhone app dev

Est. shipping £25? Would that be about right? Would have to talk to the misses before I list it. As it has no box putting it in the backpack bag and then into a box would be fine - wouldn't it?

Probably best to state collection preferred, but as long as it's well packaged for delivery that should be fine. I'd try and find a suitable sized box and pad it with bubble wrap so it doesn't move around.

Parcel2Go is probably the cheapest delivery. They are basically resellers for other delivery services just make sure you have sufficient insurance to cover the item as if it goes missing then the buyer will obviously request a refund which you must be sure you can reclaim. Forum rules are that prices include delivery unless stated otherwise.

Pictures are always asked for, so you may as well include them when listing. Also it's common to write your forum name and the date on a piece of paper and place it next to the item in the pic. If the computer will power on most people just open a word doc and type it in there then take a pic of the screen.

Good luck with the sale, the large majority of people in the AVF classifieds are genuine, but of course observe the forum rules and keep all chat and negotation on the thread and don't respond to PM's making offers before a sale is openly agreed as there have been some scammers trying to do deals via PM.

Packaging shouldn't be a problem then. I have bubble wrap and I think I have a box it will fit in.

Would it be worth me getting an adaptor and adding it onto the price?

Packaging shouldn't be a problem then. I have bubble wrap and I think I have a box it will fit in.

Would it be worth me getting an adaptor and adding it onto the price?

It would ease the mind of some people, I believe second hand chargers are like £25-30 and brand new from Apple, much more; so it shouldn't be too expensive to do.

I've just sold something on Play.com just before Jan ended so no fees :clap: I maybe able to get enough together to get a brick now. I'll still be selling it due to needing cash so.

Thanks :) I'll list it later this week as £540 including delivery or £515 collection. Sound fair?

No MacBook has an HDMI interface & I don't see why having an HDMI interface is easier except for connecting to a TV & even then there are adaptors.

I seriously doubt that anyone who is in the market for a MacBook Pro would prefer to buy any sort of Windows laptop.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom