MacBook Pro from eBay?

mikeossy

Novice Member
I have the better part of £800, Id really like to get a MacBook Pro but I really cannot stretch much more than say another £100 so Ive resorted to looking on ebay of one, in Brand New sealed condition.
Ive come across a few sealers who state they are UK based but have feedback of around 96%.
Ok most of the sellers are or seem to be legit but im unsure of the process of the Apple Care point of view, more in the way of if I have to return it to Apple for problems will they ask for a receipt from an official Apple Reseller?.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mike

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
I have the better part of £800, Id really like to get a MacBook Pro but I really cannot stretch much more than say another £100 so Ive resorted to looking on ebay of one, in Brand New sealed condition.
Ive come across a few sealers who state they are UK based but have feedback of around 96%.
Ok most of the sellers are or seem to be legit but im unsure of the process of the Apple Care point of view, more in the way of if I have to return it to Apple for problems will they ask for a receipt from an official Apple Reseller?.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mike

A lot of the big resellers on ebay sell US machines but do ship from the UK. The downsides are US keyboard and future resale value. Warranty is worldwide so no issues there.

HD sceptic

A lot of the big resellers on ebay sell US machines but do ship from the UK. The downsides are US keyboard and future resale value. Warranty is worldwide so no issues there.

What difference is there between UK and US keyboards? Other than maybe the £ sign

dc8900

Distinguished Member
What difference is there between UK and US keyboards? Other than maybe the £ sign

the enter key is a different size (the US is single row as opposed the double row on a UK kb) and also later UK apple kb move the backquote/~ key to the left of the Z key and in turn is replaced with § and ± respectively.

p.s. if buying off ebay, if it's a non-private sale, I'd make sure the seller is an authorised Apple premium reseller

Last edited:

mikeossy

Novice Member
the enter key is a different size (the US is single row as opposed the double row on a UK kb) and also later UK apple kb move the backquote/~ key to the left of the Z key and in turn is replaced with § and ± respectively.

p.s. if buying off ebay, if it's a non-private sale, I'd make sure the seller is an authorised Apple premium reseller

Seems as though your right, many are shipped from UK using US or Aus stock and non of which are premium resellers!.

Last edited:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Seems as though your right, many are shipped from UK using US or Aus stock and non of which are premium resellers!.

if they were able to supply the original purchase receipt, then such a purchase would be worth it but I doubt many such non-premium resellers have those original receipts.

Should add that with the refurb store, they do come with the 12 month Apple warranty and are eligible for APP

mikeossy

Novice Member
After first discounting the refurb store this looks my only option for a MBP they are supplied with 12month warranty and are re-registered.

mikeossy

Novice Member
They do, mainly on the MBP's they are year old ones and not the new re-fresh though, so if you can push to that then your onto a winner, I have although bite the bullet and just gone with a Base MacBook, new from Apple as I have an iPhone and iPad for the rest of my computing needs.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
In my experience these sellers of cheap MBPs are crooks. Google "ebay electronic king" for some horror stories on the one that I had dealings with. Don't believe all the good feedback as immediately after the sale they ask for 5* feedback with the promise of expedited delivery. Another scam they do is to supply NTSC camcorders even though they pretend to have PAL versions & to be dispatching from the UK.

eBay Feedback profile for electronic-king-inc

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Electronic King are notorious, they register on each localised eBay site and pretend to be from the UK, Australia etc

There are a couple of other sellers that do the same trick. If it's a legit UK seller they usually have some form of non eBay contact details listed on their eBay world profile or shop, that you can double check

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom