MacBook Pro Battery life - What do you expect from your battery?

fitzybhoy25

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning,

Just wondering what everyone expects to receive from a single charge of their laptops?

My MacBook Pro now lasts around 2 hours from a full charge whereas before I would get roughly 5-6 hours. Obviously something's wrong with the battery and have booked a Genius appointment to hopefully resolve it.

Not impressed.

Has anyone had an issue like this before?

Battery life lessens over time. This can in some cases be accelerated by continually having a laptop connected to the mains and leaving the battery in. (Not all laptops will allow you to remove the battery while on the mains.

How long have you had the MacBook Pro and the current battery ?

Battery life lessens over time. This can in some cases be accelerated by continually having a laptop connected to the mains and leaving the battery in. (Not all laptops will allow you to remove the battery while on the mains.

How long have you had the MacBook Pro and the current battery ?

Just over a year now.

The battery up until a couple of weeks ago was great. Now it's very poor. Fully charged this morning and disconnected. That was about half an hour ago, it's showing as 88% full and has 2 hours left according to the system calculator.

do these get replaced under apple care?

My MBP (2011 i7 15") is just over a year old and gives a comfortable 6 hours, depending on use. If I batter it with loads of CPU and disk activity it will drop to 2-3 hours, if I'm lighter it's 7 hours. For every-day use it's 6 hours comfortably.

do these get replaced under apple care?

Yes I would imagine so. I don't have Applecare though but don't see why it should matter. At the end of the day the machine cost me over £1500 so if they play ball on not replacing/repairing it then I will escalate it.

Here's the stat here:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2yzg8cm.jpg

As previously stated, the battery was fine until a few weeks ago and I noticed a rapid decrease in capacity. Also noticed that the laptop is heating up a lot and the fans coming on.

This has never happened before so something must have went wrong. The vents aren't blocked or anything like that. :confused:

I have the late 2011 model as seen in my sig. And playing abit of music and browsing the web/forums etc. I get a good 7 hours easily.

Thats with brightness up on full aswell. Im majorly impressed by it. Especially considering my old Toshiba gave me around 15 minutes haha.

I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro with over 650 cycles on the battery and I can still get over 4 hours easily with light use and the screen brightness turned down a little.

Coconut Battery says I have 90% battery health remaining. Obviously, If I do a lot of intensive stuff i.e. iTunes, photo editing, full screen all at once, the battery life dives down to 1-2 hours.

I just had to get a new battery for my 2008 (pre-unibody) 17" MBP. It had been replaced once before out of warranty for free as there were a bunch of bad batteries that after a year or so swelled up & bent your MBP if you weren't careful. Last week the battery started lasting only half an hour & I had the system message to replace it. It had about 690 recharge cycles. One thing to realise is that with these older MBPs where the battery life is only 2-2.5 hours versus a unibody with 6-7 hours that the number of recharge cycles will be treble for the same usage.

Just over a year now.

The battery up until a couple of weeks ago was great. Now it's very poor. Fully charged this morning and disconnected. That was about half an hour ago, it's showing as 88% full and has 2 hours left according to the system calculator.

How many charge cycles has it been through? Also, it would be good if you could tryout CoconutBattery and let us know what health percentage it is showing.
By the way do you usually use the MBP on battery, rather than adaptor powered?

Personally, I've had my MBP since summer 2009, roughly 3 years and the battery is still holding a charge as good as when I first got it. However, I keep it powered via the adaptor whenever possible and so it's been through few charges considering its age.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom