MacBook Pro audio out through AV reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SteveCritten, Feb 20, 2014.

1. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    I have a MacBook Pro late 2011 and I want to pass some party tunes through my yamaha rx-v2065 av amp. I have a PS3 connected if this helps. Can I do it via wifi somehow or do I need a cable and which one.
    Thanks Steve

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    You could stream audio wirelessly from your MacBook to your router and then to the AV receiver via an ethernet connection from the router to the receiver. You'd need to use a software based DLNA server running on your MacBook to do this. One such application would be Twonky. There are others such as PS3 Media Server that would also work, The AV receiver itself must be cnnected to your router via an ethernet cable, but the receiver should be able to access anything being shared wirelessly from your MacBook over the same WLAN and LAN network.

You can also access the audio being shared via the PS3 if unable to use a wired ethernet connection from your router to the receiver? If doing so then you'd use the wifi capabilities of the PS3 to access the files and use the PS3 to play them.

3. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    Thanks Dante I will try it now.

4. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    Dante will this allow me to stream my iTunes playlist I can't seem to get my playlists up (I downloaded VLC as it's free)

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    No, only Airplay can facilitate a device to use your iTunes playlists and your receiver lacks Airplay compatibility. DLNA cannot use the playlists you've created via iTunes and can only access the audio files themselves that are within your iTunes library or other locations on your MacBook. DLNA is simly fascilitating the streaming of the files and has no control over iTunes or support for the use use of iTunes.

You need a DLNA server, not a media player such as VLC. You are streaming the files for other devices to render and not playing the files on your Mac. Use something like PS3 Media Server or Twonky. VLC cannot facilitate DLNA uPnP and is simply a media player and not a server.

PS3 Media Server

Store | Twonky

Serviio media server

You accessed the files and play them via either your AV receiver or via the PS3 connected to it. The MacBook is simply serving the files to either the receiver or your PS3 via DLNA. You do not play the files on the MacBook and then stream the resulting audio. You'd need additional hardware with Airplay if this is what you want?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  6. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    Ah right. I get it now thanks very much. You as always have been a great help.

7. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    Just had a thought, is there a cable I could buy to connect my Mac to my yamaha IPod Dock?

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    No, the dock is proprietary to Yamaha and uses Yamaha's proprietary connector.

9. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    Bloody Apple, I have ordered an Apple TV. I suppose I would have got one anyway ;).

10. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    SteveCritten, If you are looking for a simple cable solution just use the headphone 3.5mm out on the 2011 MBP this is also an optical out - just get an optical cable with the appropriate end and connect to one of your amps optical inputs or ....

Even simpler use the 3.5mm head phone socket and get a 3.5mm to RCA (red & white) cable and connect to a spare input on the amp

Either of these ways will give you simple access to all your MBP music

11. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222