• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MacBook Pro 15" Retina vs iMac

mkelbie

I recently sold my my monster gaming PC with a GTX Titan to get myself a retina MacBook Pro. I do change my mind a lot so I am looking for advice on what's the best to get with my budget.

I have gone from 2500K gaming PC to MacBook retina then 3930K with a Titan now back to a MacBook. I change because certain games make me want a PC again so this time I'm hoping to find a balance in MacBook/bootcamp and a console.

I got the MacBook retina £1799 version on Sunday which has a 650M. Seems it should be ok for gaming but when I was looking at other apple products I saw the new iMac has a 680M. I was going to pay extra for the 512gb version of the MacBook but now I am tempted to get an iMac with its better GPU for gaming and a large HDD and then if my budget stretches enough I could get a non retina MacBook Pro.

I do like the retina MacBooks but £2299 is a lot if it won't cater for all my needs so would appreciate some feedback on performance of iMac vs MacBook and input on what I should do.

My uses will be adobe and autodesk software and I am going to look into using Xcode. I will also want to play RTS games like C&C and some FPS games likes BF3. Not expecting ultra settings but I want it to be playable.

iMac and MacBook Pro

Or

MacBook Pro Retina and XBOX/PS3

Thanks

bl0at3r

Banned
Clearly there are a whole bunch of people that 'get' pc gaming - I don't and would much rather have a dedicated games console.

So for me I would vote for the MBP (non retina) and Xbox 360

mkelbie

I must admit I stuck MW3 on the day I got the super slim and I couldn't believe the difference. Normally you don't see it but I was spending more and more on my PC for extra detail which I will eventually forget about.

I have 14 days to think about keeping this MBPr or not, I was thinking about a non retina as the price is great and I can always stick my own SSD and extra ram in there if I wish.

The retina doesn't even run at full res anyway, its scaled.

I will save myself about £750 if I go for non retina and do upgrades myself. Its driving me mad whats the best choice, I used to always avoid an iMac but the latest ones look really nice visually and on paper.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Hi ,i have the 2012 3.2 i5 imac with the 675mx card,and according to the specs of the card its almost a 680 ,take a look on macrumors site,it might save you a few quid over the 680

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom