Macbook pro 15" or 13"

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Connor Simcox, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Connor Simcox

Connor Simcox
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking at buying a macbook pro but undecided weather to get 15" or the 13"
    Would just like to know what the differences are between them and whats best for me.

I will be using it for things like:
    Web browsing
    Steam/gaming
    Spotify
    Logic pro/music production
    Utorrent

Thank you.

2. nathancom

nathancom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not a macbook for steam or really gaming in general. You can spend £2k and get a 15" rMBP with a discrete graphics card, but only a midrange one. For everything else a 13" is fine though worth getting 8gb of ram and 256gb ssd. They are nice machines but not for anything but mild gaming. The graphics drivers are not great even when you have the 750m version.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    Apple (United Kingdom) - MacBook Pro with Retina display - Technical Specifications

The 15" has more desktop area (1440x900 equivalent rather than 1280x800 equivalent), better graphics (enough to play games now, but likely to struggle after a couple of years) and comes with quad core processors, but of course it's 30% heavier and much more expensive.

Gaming will benefit from a strong graphics card, music production from a good processor. Web Browsing and uTorrent will work equally well on any laptop, and Spotify is best on a laptop with good speakers (typically thicker laptops, small and thin speakers don't work well at high volume).

I think you're basically looking at the 15" for gaming, you might be able to get away with the Iris Pro 5200 which is remarkably fast for Intel graphics

4. Dave M

Dave M
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,238
    My 2009 15" MacBook Pro was damaged at the weekend (water-don't ask) and I'm looking to replace. I just use for web browsing, email and some word processing (no gaming) so am considering the 13" but an worried I'll miss the 15" screen. What do you guys think? I should get used to it right? It's just a case of the money, the 15 being about £400 more.

5. nathancom

nathancom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My partner has got a 13" MacBook Air and for your usage I think that screen size is going to be fine. I wouldn't want to work using a 13" screen as it would feel cramped using multiple applications side by side but for general use then I think it is more suitable and more portable.

6. Dave M

Dave M
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,238
    Thanks for your thoughts. It's so hard to decide! Especially as it needs to last the next 5 years or so. I have a bit if time to decide so will carry on researching. I like the retina display though so think it will be a pro.

7. Dave M

Dave M
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,238
    Decided on the 15" MacBook Pro with 256GB flash storage but not sure whether to upgrade from 8GB RAM to 16?

8. nathancom

nathancom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Only if you feel like donating to apple retirement fund.

Honestly for the usage you have described the 13 inch is more than adequate for years to come, much lighter and significantly cheaper. You should definitely get the 256GB hard drive as you intend.

You are spending £400 for a slightly faster processor that you will have no real world effect on word processing, email or browsing and a bigger screen. 8GB ram is plenty, you are not doing anything intensive such as VM, data crunching, video encoding etc to necessitate more ram.

If I was going to buy an OS laptop today it would be the 13" retina pro. It is a fantastic price compared with its rivals and is more than powerful enough for all general usage.

9. Dave M

Dave M
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,238
    Thanks for your advise. In the end I went with the 15" base model. Bought from John Lewis who are offering a 3 year guarantee at the moment.

10. nathancom

nathancom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nice one! Enjoy the purchase :)