Macbook power cable

yorkshirecath

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a problem with theirs?
Had mine about 18 months and the casing around the magnetic plug has split and the wire is literally hanging on by a thread. Do they offer a guarantee on them or do i need to buy a new one?
Wondered if it was a common problem.
Thanks

Has anyone ever had a problem with theirs?
Had mine about 18 months and the casing around the magnetic plug has split and the wire is literally hanging on by a thread. Do they offer a guarantee on them or do i need to buy a new one?
Wondered if it was a common problem.
Thanks

My brother had that problem on his after 3 years, of course it was after AppleCare expired, so no idea if it can be replaced. If your macbook is still under AppleCare, I'd say it's definitely worth a shot checking if you can get it replaced under APP :thumbsup:

I'd say Apple will probably replace it, as due to the crap design of the connector it's actually a potential hazard once the strain relief then the sheath fails. It's worth a shot. Go to an Apple Store and make the forlorn eyes.

Thanks, will do that as i don't have Applecare :(

I was going to post about this, I have the same thing again 18months old and have Applecare, I need to call them about a couple of things so I will report back.

A very annoying thing about the MacBook power adaptors is that you cannot buy a replacement with a long power cable like that supplied with the system. The replacement just has the mains plug built into the transformer whereas the one supplied with the laptop has a mains cable that plugs into the transformer with a proprietary connector

Here is the replacement http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352...icub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp

Here is the original clearly visible in this video telling you how to fix a frayed Magsafe cable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu1n-bI2cPo

Last edited:
A very annoying thing about the MacBook power adaptors is that you cannot buy a replacement with a long power cable like that supplied with the system. The replacement just has the mains plug built into the transformer whereas the one supplied with the laptop has a mains cable that plugs into the transformer with a proprietary connector

Here is the replacement http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352...icub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp

Here is the original clearly visible in this video telling you how to fix a frayed Magsafe cable. YouTube - Fix your Macbook power adaptor - DIY style, but easy!

Untrue. Buy a PSU and you'll get both the localised plug, and localised long cable. In any case, the connector itself is an IEC figure of 8 - and standard cables will fit, although obviously it won't look 'Apple'.

Does anyone know if you can contact Apple by email??
Thanks

Untrue. Buy a PSU and you'll get both the localised plug, and localised long cable. In any case, the connector itself is an IEC figure of 8 - and standard cables will fit, although obviously it won't look 'Apple'.
That's great news if true. None of the photos I have seen show the long cable or refer to it. I have held off ordering for that very reason.

That power connector may be an IEC figure of 8 but what secures the cable to the transformer is some special Apple metal button fitting.

I've had my MacBook pro 2 years now and have had the Magsafe power adapter replaced twice in the past 6 months under cover of Applecare. Macbook bought in UK. Applecare bought from USA. Magsafe power adapter delivered to me in Italy. Both times they sent me only the Magsafe with the connection to the Macbook but not the power cord which they told me to keep hold of the existing.
Oh BTW, mine weren't faulty, my baby son likes to put the magnet plug into his mouth and twist it about :rolleyes:

I can confirm that you do indeed get the plug & the long cable when you purchase a power supply from the Apple Store. I just bought an extra power supply each for a MacBook & MBP so that they can be left at the office rather than lugged back & forth.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom