• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

macbook + ms office or Iwork

simonv

Standard Member
Hi Im a new convert from windows to mac and have just got a macbook. Now im trying to decide between the iwork and ms office. The thing is i need to be able to make word, excel and powepoint documents that will work perfectly on the ms windows environment. Will Ilife work for me or do you think i will encounter compatability problems?

Thanks for any advice!

RobM

Distinguished Member
If it's for business use, then Office for Mac is the only real answer. I have IWork and it's great, easy to use, well integrated etc. And the support for Office formats is very good, but there is still some times when it's not quite as good as Office.

If it's just for home use, then IWork is no problem at all and will do everything most people need.

But for total Office format and feature support, Office is the only true answer.

M

MarshallM

I have both installed - whilst Numbers works for Excel very well and can import/export to Excel format fine, it does miss some scientific functions which Excel has.

Word wise, I use Pages to open Word files, but it won't be as seamless as using the original.

One way to find out - use the trials. All new Apple laptops come with a 30 day trial of iWork.

fizl

If you already own office for the pc you can of course install it if you use vmware fusion or parallels - or bootcamp and create a windows partition. Thats what I did (I use it through VMware fusion and its lovely)

Shaz

i've got the same problem and have had a quick trawl through some websites. from reading apples website ms office seems the most but has some good features and is ideal if your coming from windows although it seems to have a few problems with running stable on macs. iwork seems to be a stripped down of office although from the trial it seems ideal for writing letters although it seems to have a problem if your sending files to other computers as its not compatible with ms word but I have not tried it myself.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Why has no one suggested NeoOffice? The price is right.

OpenOffice is another good choice. But the trouble is - just as with iWork - while they may be compatible with Office formats, they aren't 100% compatible with every feature in Office. So whilst 95% of the time they will be absolutely perfect, there will inevitability come a time when you receive a file that's not quite right when used in iWork/NeoOffice/OpenOffice etc.

For home personal use, no worries. But for business use, 100% compatibility is essential.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom