Macbook Locked ?

Vernon23

Standard Member
Help Please,

My Macbook this morning is doing strange things. When I turn on it starts up ok, but then the toolbar at the top constantly flashes and I cannot open the 'finder' menu and if I try to open itunes I get a message ' The file is locked on a locked disc or you do not have write permission for this file'. I also cannot open Trash. It opens safari, iphoto, idvd, imovie and all other apps.

A couple of days ago I removed some stuff from the utilities menu to try to free up some space and I cannot remember if I have used it since.

I got the macbook as a freebie and it did not come with any discs. It is currently running Mac OS X 10.5.8, is there anything I can do to repair ?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Help Please,

My Macbook this morning is doing strange things. When I turn on it starts up ok, but then the toolbar at the top constantly flashes and I cannot open the 'finder' menu and if I try to open itunes I get a message ' The file is locked on a locked disc or you do not have write permission for this file'. I also cannot open Trash. It opens safari, iphoto, idvd, imovie and all other apps.

A couple of days ago I removed some stuff from the utilities menu to try to free up some space and I cannot remember if I have used it since.

I got the macbook as a freebie and it did not come with any discs. It is currently running Mac OS X 10.5.8, is there anything I can do to repair ?

Hmm, odd, what exactly did you remove from the Utilities menu? and what else have you done?

alanrob

What utilities menu? Do you mean the System Preferences? If so, then you have gone and removed something that is vital for the running of the OS.
Only way to fix that is to do a restore from the original disks.
Since you didn't get any then your best bet is to buy a copy of Snow Leopard (very cheap) and install that. And don't go removing things until you have sussed out what they are for and if you can remove them in the first place ;)

dc8900

Distinguished Member
What utilities menu? Do you mean the System Preferences? If so, then you have gone and removed something that is vital for the running of the OS.
Only way to fix that is to do a restore from the original disks.
Since you didn't get any then your best bet is to buy a copy of Snow Leopard (very cheap) and install that. And don't go removing things until you have sussed out what they are for and if you can remove them in the first place ;)

I second that, you don't really need to remove anything from the Utilities, as well they don't take up much and well you are probably going to have to buy a copy of the OS

Vernon23

Standard Member
Hmm, odd, what exactly did you remove from the Utilities menu? and what else have you done?
I thought I removed things like brail keyboard and lithuanian languages etc, somethings I thought would not upset the machine..........I'll think again next time.

Do you think these things would have made a difference ?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
If you want to remove additional languages, I'm pretty sure you can do at start up, otherwise programmes like MonoLingual will strip the additional languages etc (be sure, to select British English as an option you want) and also there are over programmes available :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom