MacBook/ITunes/Mobile Phone Music?

Empgamer

I am just looking at a new mobile. Either a Nokia E51 or E65 or one of the Sony Ericsson Walkman branded phones. All of these have some music playing capability and I'm just wondering whether they are compatible with Mac OSX and iTunes by default or with a third party ap. Essentially I use the Macbook for iTunes/Ipod Synch and I don't really want the hassle of creating another library or having to use a Windows PC for phone music library management.

jont

not tempted by an iPhone ? - make the issue of itunes management a lot simpler ;)

J

Steve Bate

I run N E61 and an iPhone, although there's no music on the E61 the syncing ability for ical and address book is truly appaling, it is supposed to be compatible with iSync but I got loads of duplicates/lost contacts deleted appts etc. The iPhone just works!

Steve

Empgamer

I'm in the UAE and at the moment iPhone is not widely available (at least in Abu Dhabi). I think most retailers were waiting for the 3G. Also at work, the only place where I really use a diary, we are on Windows. Can't honestly say I use the Calendar on my MacBook and then there's the synching issues with Windows at work to keep Outlook updated. I certainly don't want to carry two devices LOL.

I also do like the Nokia E51 and plan to do all business type synching with the firms laptop/desktop. I've not used the iPhone apps but the Nokia E51 for me executes what I need VERY well. I'm not THAT bothered about the music side to be honest but was really querying the extent to which the music players on phones like Nokias can use iTunes library etc as a source via a MacBook.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Eseries should play AAC audio that itunes rips from CDs, or of course MP3s. If you have a bunchof stuff you buy from the store, then you could burn them to DVD and rerip to remove the DRM, or upgrade them if available to the DRM free 'plus' versions which will play fine.

it won't sync directly using itunes, but I think Nokia do a little system tray app that can sync with a phone and looks at your itunes library, worth checking out in advance.

Empgamer

I'll have a look for that, thanks. None of my music is iTunes Store so that's a bonus. It's all ripped in FLAC and then converted to either AAC or MP3 for iTunes (I use the FLAC for the home system).

Chester

When you connect the phone to the Mac, does the phone revert to some kind of file management mode? If so, you should be able to just drag over your MP3s straight onto the storage card using Finder. Incidentally, I've just tried it with my sony Ericsson W850i and it brought my photos straight into iPhoto as well. In Finder, I've got full read/write access.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Chester makes a very good point... when you plug a Nokia into a PC via USB, you get options as to how you want to connect. It's usually something like PCSuite, Nokie Mode or Data Browser/File Browser I think. In any case, there should be an option to connect the phone and allow the Mac to access it as external storage :)

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom