Macbook battery replacement

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by CamFire, Feb 7, 2014.

1. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Has anyone got recommendations for a good, cheap and long-lasting :smashin: battery suitable for a late-2008 Macbook aluminium (unibody) battery? Apple charges £109 and there was a post here stating his/her MBP battery went for £69 instead when "trading" in the used one.

I've looked on the usual places and feedback averages around so-so, worst still for some which degrade further than the Apple original (!)

2. magoo1

magoo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    That may have been me - this post Cheaper laptop battery from Apple | AVForums explains all!

Book the machine in for a genius appointment and have them replace the battery! Lord knows why it should be cheaper than doing it yourself but...!

3. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    I need a new battery for my MBP too - same late '08 as yours Camfire. Thing is, it spends 99% of it's time in the lounge plugged in, and so little time outside that environment, I'm loathed to pay what Apple want - even £69 (or £79 as per the other thread).

My question is; is it better to run the MBP on it's battery and charge it when it's low, or leave it plugged into the mains? Because mine shipped (second hand) with a battery that lasted about 20 mins on it's own, so I had them send me another battery, which was fine and gave me several hours of use, but now that battery is duff too and reports "service battery" in the task bar, and Coconut shows this;

[​IMG]

4. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
  5. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Well, I just tried running my MBP with the charger unplugged, to see if it lasts longer with the SSD inside as opposed to the more power hungry HDD. Pulled the charger, battery percentage showed 96% and 1:13 min remaining. After a few mins it had dropped to 95 and 94, but showing over 2hrs remaining. Maybe ten mins after unplugging charger, percentage was at 89% with 2:34 remaining, then as it went to 88%, it simply shut off. Pressed power button and it went to restart, and within seconds of the startup chime, it shut off again. The battery indicator button on the side (that shows the green dots) still showed majority battery strength (like three quarters) but it would not start again until the charger was connected. Now it's up and running, the charger light is orange showing it's charging, the percentage is 90% and battery status shows "service battery" and "0:44 until full"

Guess my battery is fubar then!

6. Kailash

Kailash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    I'm kind of at this point. have a 4year old MBP 13. its my main computer and I'm just sort of sick running around with the power cable plugged in
    I get about 2hrs maybe after a full charge. really don't want to pay big money for a battery.

has anyone made a move yet?

I suppose the other alternative is to buy another charger and have one in each of your main rooms where the laptop is used

7. PeterH988

PeterH988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    My experience of cheap batteries is not too good, even on first charge I was showing about 2 ½ hours, 2007 MBP) and the two cheapo's I have have since gone in the bin, and i'm back on the Apple original. Fortunately, I'm plugged in most of the time, so it doesn't really matter to me, but it does seem to be one of those 'you get what you pay for' situations.

8. Kailash

Kailash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    yeah doubt I'd buy a cheap battery
    mag charger is £65. hmmmmm,

9. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    I had mine changed on my 2009 MBP at the Apple store in Dec, was £109 but no discount for old battery (that they kept)

From previous experiences I would not put a cheap battery in my MBP; I had the same as some reporting on here shutting down at 80% or so (was 4 years old with 800+ cycles)

In all it's expensive but hey it's Apple ;)