macbook and digi camera out the window

nbkicker33

arghhhhhh, ive had a sony t30 digital camera from when it came out and always took clips and pics on it and it always downloaded them to my old windows computer with no trouble, then 2 mnths ago my pc broke so decided to get a apple macbook which i have enjoyed since it came, apart from when i first got macbook my little girls sports day had been that day at school so took load of pics, connected it macbook and it said there was nothing on camera, when disconnected and checked camera it was blank, then today just came back from holiday, checked camera yest and all pics where on camera, then got in this afternoon and connected camera to laptop and yet again nothing showing on camera, in last month had few pics took and put them on macbook, and took some in house before and it worked ok, just pisses me off bad not nowing if camera strting to go, or it macbook that has deleted camera when i connected it.:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:mad::mad: anyway anybody else had any trouble like this cause had a lot of good photos from my holiday and now they all gone, was nearly gonna throw camera or macbook or even both out the window, never had any trouble like this with old pc.

teejay38

Novice Member
Did you plug the camera straight in or did you use a card reader to download the pics? According to the Apple support site, the Sony T30 is not on the list of cameras supported by OSX. And when you downloaded the pictures was the "delete images in camera" box in iPhoto ticked or unticked?
:confused:

nbkicker33

i just plugged the usb lead into macbook and other end into camera then i launched i photo, then switched camera on and normally it comes up in iphoto with all pics on camera, and also on desktop there is icon up called untitled which i can double click and it normally opens up and can see all pics, like i said since had macbook put on a load of pics on 6 occasions and no trouble at all.it was just first time i did it, and before. and on them times when done about nothing came up in iphoto, and on desktop untitled was there but when i clicked on it, it was empty and showing 1gb available memory, which is what card i got in.

Find a data recovery application and run it on the card, you'll be amazed with how many pictures can be recovered. Just what ever you do, do not use the card in the mean time!!!! Any other action could destroy a picture that is still stored just not visible

And a tip for next time, I always write protect my card before I load in pictures...That way I don't have to blame the equipment for my own stupid actions :)

teejay38

Novice Member
First of all, get a card reader and use this method rather than plugging the lead straight into the camera. This method could get round the fact that your camera doesn't appear to be supported by OSX. iPhoto should open automatically when you plug your card(or Sony memory stick) into the card reader. It should open into a window which shows thumbnails of the pictures on the card. Below the pictures there is a box saying "import all" Ignore anything on the desktop and concentrate on iPhoto. You will have the option of naming the album of photos you are about to import so that you can find them within your library after they have been imported. When you click the "import" button a drop-down box will ask you if you want to delete the original items on the camera/card after import. Click on "keep originals" or "delete originals" as you wish. I always click on "keep originals" and reformat the card within the camera because it actually deletes the images rather than hides them.

As de jong implies, you probably still have the images on your card, and you should be able to recover them with a software package like Image Rescue which you should be able to download from the internet. It even comes free with some memory cards .

Let us know how you get on. There are some excellent iPhoto tutorials on the Apple website if you want to make yourself more familiar with the software.

teejay38

Novice Member
:oops:
Oh, and one more thought. Always eject the memory stick from within iPhoto before taking it out of the card reader. Otherwise you could corrupt the images on your memory stick.

nbkicker33

no already took a load of pics of room trying to see if i could get it to happen again, but cant, just gonna have to keep a eye on it an see if it camera or computer, but think ill get a memory card reader and use that from now on.

sammy4499771

Have you tried to see if image capture reckonises the camera? If it does you can import the photos into iphoto that way.

Just a thought.

nbkicker33

my macbook will import pics with iphoto or from desktop, its just that in last 6-8weeks since i had macbook, 2 times i connected my camera, my mac seems to have deleted all pics of camera, even now i keep connecting camera to macbook and it sees pics every time.cant get it to do it again.

no already took a load of pics of room trying to see if i could get it to happen again, but cant, just gonna have to keep a eye on it an see if it camera or computer, but think ill get a memory card reader and use that from now on.

Depending on the size of the card they may still be there. The file system is actually quite clever as a format generally just wipes the index or file allocation table...Basically just the pointer to where the file is instead of the file...As such the operating system thinks it is empty and will overwrite, but if it is a big card it could take a while before it is overriden...

nbkicker33

well went to sony website for t30 and using with os-x and it says switch on computer, then camera, then connect lead, where before ive been switching on macbook, connecting lead, then switching camera on, so from now on will switch on both computer and camera first before connecting lead, hoefully this will sort it out.

well went to sony website for t30 and using with os-x and it says switch on computer, then camera, then connect lead, where before ive been switching on macbook, connecting lead, then switching camera on, so from now on will switch on both computer and camera first before connecting lead, hoefully this will sort it out.

Won't make a single bit of difference, it's not like there is any 'logic' in the lead....The key is as someone posted before to properly eject afterwards because if you don't it could still be busy writing to the camera card or reading without you realising and thus corrupting data...The order in which you connect really does not matter...

nbkicker33

well i always eject anyway as far a doing things in right i have, i always eject it before disconnecting the lead, and as above connect like that, the problem is when connecting the computer sees the camera as empty, then when i eject camera from computer and look on camera,there is nothing there anymore, will just have to wait and see what happens

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom