Macbook Air vs Pro wireless performance

NewfieDrool

Banned
Ok still looking at which MacBook to buy and was wondering how the wireless performance between the two machines differs.

At my friends house who has infinity (I'm due for this soon) I was able to test out her wireless connection of her MBP , my iPad and her old Dell which is g rated.
I used speed test and got the following as an average.
Dell was 6
iPad was 12
MBP was 25

Really impressed with the MacBook Pro. Her hub is quite a distance to and you need get fairly close with the iPad to see the performance improve but as a test which are all in the same room the MBP was nice. Made a difference when I FaceTime her. iPad stutters and Pro is smooth and being HD clear but it's the smoothness I like.

Does The MBA use the same wireless technology as the Pro or will the Pro be just that bit better?

CamFire

Distinguished Member
Same 802.11n in all Macs. However, what you may have just observed is the superior wireless sensitivity noted in the MBP and it might be different in the MBA.

NewfieDrool

Banned
CamFire said:
Same 802.11n in all Macs. However, what you may have just observed is the superior wireless sensitivity noted in the MBP and it might be different in the MBA.

Thanks for the reply. It did seem very good and compared to the other devices was fantastic. I managed to get the iPad to 20 if I walked closer to the hub but the MacBook was just so good.
Part of me is wondering if the Air is on par being that it's compact.

CamFire

Distinguished Member
Is your MBP or iPad connecting via 5GHz? For MacOS, press-n-hold the ALT/OPT key while clicking the Airport icon will show this.

Reason I ask is because at 5GHz, Mac's max wireless speed is 300Mbps, at 2.4GHz it is 130Mbps.

NewfieDrool

Banned
CamFire said:
Is your MBP or iPad connecting via 5GHz? For MacOS, press-n-hold the ALT/OPT key while clicking the Airport icon will show this.

Reason I ask is because at 5GHz, Mac's max wireless speed is 300Mbps, at 2.4GHz it is 130Mbps.

Ah I have no idea. Next time I'm up her place I will have a look. Does the BT hub need setting up to get the 5GHz freq? Would this improve the speed even more?

I have a home hub 3 sitting downstairs as I'm waiting for infinity so it would be great to learn a bit more if it improves speed over a wireless connection.

Ive a feeling the home hub 3 is just a 2.4GHz model but I could be wrong as I have had to google to check.

Last edited:

NewfieDrool

Banned
I'm a little concussed in a happy way though.
I've just ran a speed test on my macbook and I'm getting 7 where on my iPad and my windows 7 desktop I get 6.5. Even wired on the desk top it's the same so I'm happy with the wireless performance but it's hard to believe its faster than my big old Windows setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom