MacBook 2.13Ghz - Some Questions

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by LeftyXXIII, Nov 29, 2010.

1. LeftyXXIII

LeftyXXIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    Hi guys,

Didn't know until recently that there was a Mac section, so I'll be venturing into here a little more often for tips and tricks :smashin:

I brought a used MacBook recently which came with it's charger and a 'fresh' install of Snow Leopard - but no discs. For peace of mind (and because I'm a neat freak) I'm thinking of going out and buying the install discs from Apple for £25 and starting from scratch. I've done some Googling and found that the old "erase & install" option is no longer available. I'm planning to follow the process shown on the following link :

A clean install of Snow Leopard.. thanks! | Edward Lewis

My other query relates to the iLife 11' software I brought last week. I stupidly registered it up to the Mac before thinking about doing the above and now I'm worried that as it's a single user licence, I won't be able to re-register it on the fresh install because I've used the license already?

Oh and I'm not fussed about backing up as I'm yet to transfer my photo's over from my Windows machine and I don't have a large music collection, so I can import those into iTunes again.

If you guys could help that would be great!

2. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    I have in the past used retail copies of OS X to restores macs, and everything gets restored apart from ilife applications (which are on the second disc) as all necessary drivers will be installed

if you want the machine specific grey discs that come with each mac, phone Apple, I remember a member a while back saying he was able to ring them and get hold of them (obviously paying for them!)

also, simply remove ilife from the mac, and do what you need to do and then re-install :thumbsup:

3. LeftyXXIII

LeftyXXIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    Thanks for the reply...I didn't know about the simple drop to trash to uninstall software (I've been a PC since forever and work with them everyday - trying to widen my knowledge with the Macs) but I've done that with iLife now.

I'll try to contact Apple regarding the grey discs at lunchtime, but if that's unsucessful then I'll try the iStore in Crawley at the weekend as I'll be buying Snow Leopard from there anyway. Alternatively, I might try the bay and see what they have, although when I last looked it was all for MacBook Pro's.

Do you know how much that member paid for the discs?

4. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    sorry mate, I have no idea how much he paid but I believe he did call Apple support and not one of the retail stores

5. LeftyXXIII

LeftyXXIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    No worries. I just called Apple Support and had no luck. They wasn't interested and eBay doesn't look like it has anything either.

Am I right in thinking that by running a clean install of Snow Leopard, like suggested in the original link, it will give me what I want, but not as advanced as how I would ideally like? The iLife applications/drivers would remain but then get overwritten by my iLife 11' install and I'll have a clearer mind? As I say I'm still new to the Mac OS, but plan to use this MacBook as a learning curve before I get a iMac.

Alternatively, if anyone has the grey discs for a MacBook 2.13Ghz and would be happy for me to borrow them I'd be extremely grateful! :smashin:

6. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
  7. LeftyXXIII

LeftyXXIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    I know what I'm doing at the weekend - restoring to factory settings and then starting all over again. Thanks very much dc, much appreciated. Will let you know how I get on :smashin:

8. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    glad to help and any more questions, you know where to find avf :thumbsup:

9. LeftyXXIII

LeftyXXIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    Went into the iStore in Crawley today and the 'genius' completely brushed aside my reasons for buying the £25 disc. He was adimant that using the upgrade disc wouldn't work, as it would see the current OS on there and refuse to delete and reinstall. He said the Mac Box Set (£119) would work, but looking at that now, that looks like it's just an upgrade disc too.

I'm even more confused now than I was originally! Can anyone (dc8900) clarify please?

10. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    from what I remember the original Mac Box Set was designed as a cheaper upgrade that includes the additional programmes and so forth, with originally there being a Leopard version; with the SL version, it contains SL as well as ilife '11 and iwork 09

11. Rafe

Rafe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Spot on - in order to stay legal, the upgrade path for Tiger was to buy the Retail Box of Leopard and then upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  12. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    and cheaper than paying £119 for the box set, as a second hand copy of 10.5.x is what, fifty quid? and then 10.6.X is £25

so that's £75 versus £119

13. LeftyXXIII

LeftyXXIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    Ok, so am I right in thinking that I'll have to downgrade to Leopard and then upgrade back up to Snow Leopard?

If that's the case, I should be able to get a copy of Leopard from work, then buy the £25 SL upgrade pack and then I'll be sorted. If not, then a trip to eBay will be needed - on a quick search, your £50 estimate is a little short, I'm not seeing much change from £100! :(

14. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    just under £100 for a second hand copy? :eek:

wow, prices have gone up!

15. LeftyXXIII

LeftyXXIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    Yeah I couldn't believe it either, I started to consider whether it's worth going through with it all when I saw those prices :laugh:.

I'm waiting to hear from a collegue at work to see whether I can borrow a Leopard install disc...if not, then I might have to put up with it until Lion comes out.

16. Joellypops

Joellypops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Applecare should, if memory serves me correctly, be able to provide you with discs, regardless of the fact it was purchased on eBay. I'd try them on the phone again, should only take a quick serial number lookup on Apple's part, I think but might wrong its about £39 for replacement discs. Just don't mention eBay if needs be.

17. LeftyXXIII

LeftyXXIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    Joelly - I didn't purchase it off of eBay, I managed to get it on the cheap (£350) from a mate from who I've since found out got it from someone who advises that it's been written off by Apple.

If I had known that it had a history like that I probably wouldn't have brought it. But other than a few scratches and blemishes (the screen has one dead pixel and a little bruising - not noticable unless your looking for it) it's in pretty good condition, and one went for £450 on eBay last night, with a smaller hard drive...so I can't complain.

I'll give Apple another try this evening after work and will see what they say, they may take pity on me :laugh:. Will keep you all posted.

18. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    :eek:

that's an 'interesting' history to say the least! yes, do keep us posted

19. LeftyXXIII

LeftyXXIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    I phoned Apple earlier and spoke to a guy named Rohit, after a call back and several minutes on hold, he was given authorisation to send them out (he was concerned that I had obtained it from a friend who had chucked the box and discs away).

After tax it worked out at £33.82 which isn't too bad. Nothing was made of the Applecare (valid until Feb 2013) or serial number. My only concern is that the purchase was made at 7PM and I'm still yet to have an email confirming everything. How long should I give them until I phone up asking about it? I've gone on the "check my repair" link and entered my reference, but that says it's not valid. Are there any other links I could try?

20. LeftyXXIII

LeftyXXIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    I've just got off the phone from Apple and the support adviser yesterday make a mess of the incident log...

He had processed the wrong discs to come out to me, so one of the senior technicians has just created a new order so that I receive the correct discs (he even let me choose whether I wanted the 10.5 or 10.6 install discs as the 2.13Ghz model was released with both OS's - I chose 10.5) at no extra charge.

My original gut feeling was one of concern and it looks like, for once, that I was right to be cautious :laugh:. I have a expected delivery date of 16th Dec, so I'll update the thread once I've got the discs.

Have been mulling over what to do with the MacBook all morning and I've decided that it's going to be my experimental Mac, so I'm toying with the idea of upgrading the hard drive with a SSD and increasing the RAM to 4GB. I'm hoping that should future proof it for the next 18 months or so, and then I can start to look at a iMac :D

21. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    how come you chose 10.5.x over 10.6.x.?

22. LeftyXXIII

LeftyXXIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    I really don't know...I've just cost myself another £25 thinking about it :facepalm:

23. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    that was what I was going to say, I was kinda perplexed when you said you chose 10.5.x, ah well lesson learned I guess ;)

24. LeftyXXIII

LeftyXXIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    Yeah - I'm not really having the best of weeks...but as you say, lesson learned :laugh: