Mac virus protection

vader100

Got a mac for the first time and am looking for the best virus/system health scan software available.

Please can someone point me in the right direction?

excollier

You won't really need av protection. Most viruses are made to infect Microsoft Windows.
Mac & Linux computers are unaffected by these, they will get the viruses, but are immune, the operating system is different.
You may get occasional malware, but it is rare.
If you download and pass on files to a Windows user, get them to scan the file before opening it.

Speedy624

Agreed, you do not need virus protection on unix based platforms.

Wild Weasel

Macs don't even have the firewall on by default. I would put that on for a start:

Go to System Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Firewall tab -> Turn On Firewall (you'll probably need to click the padlock in the bottom left, enter your admin password and then you can changes settings)

If you want a decent free AV program, try this one:

avast! Free Antivirus for Mac | Security Software for Apple OS X

Macs are generally more secure, but Apple can be a bit slack when it comes to releasing security patches sometimes.

if you want to be super paranoid & make it really secure, create a new 'standard' user and log in as that in future instead of the default 'admin' user. That's standard practice for Linux & Unix users.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom