Mac software for ripping or copying DVDs for Plex/ATV4

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by stripeyjoe, Mar 18, 2018.

1. stripeyjoe

stripeyjoe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +39
      Hi all,
      Way back in time I used to use Handbrake for ripping DVDs onto my computer, mostly to transfer to my iPad for commuter viewing.

I've decided to rip all my DVDs that aren't available on Netflix or Sky onto my NAS (QNAP TS453A) to watch via my Apple TV v4, either through imposing to iTunes or via Plex. Can then free up some valuable shelf space!

With every movie I've tried Handbrake moans about copy protection, it didn't used to do this. I've upgraded to the latest version.

Is there any software that will do this in a fairly simple way? I've looked briefly at DVDFab (after seeing the review of their hardware) will that deal with copy protected DVDs?

Also,what is the best format, I'm not particularly bothered about file size, just needs to be readable by my 4th Gen Apple TV. People keep mentioning ISO's - what are they, I can't see an option for that in Handbrake.

Ideally I'd just copy the DVD folders over to my NAS and Plex would play them but I'm sure life is not that simple!

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers all,
      Joe

2. IronSoldier

IronSoldier

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +108
      Hey,

I personally use makeMKV. Will rip it to an mkv container file which plays back via plex fine. Can then pick which audio channels you want ect, All for free whilst in beta (been in beta for years). Also supports BD and UHD BDs (If you have supporting drives).

ISO is essentially the full disk image in one file. So it'll copy everything and stick it in one neat file, menus, extras ect. Whereas MKVs will just be the main film/TV show file + selected audio.

3. next010

next010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,007
      MrMC for AppleTV & iPad has full DVD menu support so if you want to keep the DVD's as they are you can rip as ISO images or VIDEO_TS folders and play them that way.

It also has a built in Plex client too though I've never tested the DVD playback via that method. If not using Plex it's best to access the NAS via NFS or SMB, the wiki gives details.

If your after iTunes integration that means converting the mkv or iso into an mp4 video, the tool subler will pull down iTunes metadata and merge it into the file. You still need to convert using Handbrake or purchase DVDFab all in one software that does decrypting and converting.

4. stripeyjoe

stripeyjoe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +39
      Hi all,

Thanks @next010 & @IronSoldier for the replies. I'll give MakeMKV a go and see how it is at overcoming the protection, I managed to get Handbrake to convert a protected movie yesterday but not had a chance to see what the results are. It was a lot quicker than I remember, used to take pretty much the same time as the length of the film but this time it took around 30mins for 2 passes.

Does DVDFab do anything over and above MakeMKV or Handbrake to make it worth the 40 quid or so?

Cheers,

Joe

5. next010

next010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,007
      DVDFab is a bit of everything for a price, ripping, converting etc.

MakeMKV and Handbrake are more specialized, if your comfortable using them and they do the job there is no need to purchase DVDFab. Though MakeMKV doesn't do full DVD rips to ISO or VIDEO_TS at least from memory.

DVDFab does do GPU video encoding, if you have a slow CPU you can offload to hardware video encoder in GPU which may be faster. Handbrake supports this too but only for Intel CPU's that support Quicksync and you must have Intel integrated graphics active.

6. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +29
      Another vote for makemkv and handbrake from me. I hard burn subs which handbrake is really good at. Make mkv can also rip to mp4 directly so if you dont need to reduce file size you may only need that.

Edit - Sorry I was mistaken with the MP4 file, that is the output of Handbrake.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018