Mac - set-up questions (Outlook2Mac, printer & HandyCam issues)

Tighthead

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a shiny new MacBook. Very happy so far, but some questions/issues.

I bought an AirPort Extreme and iomega 350GB MiniMax to use as a wireless/shared hard-drive and hub (as the AirPort only has one USB port). The intention is to connect my USB printer to the MiniMax to be able to print wirelessly.

1. Mac is connected to network. Works beautifully and prints fine. When I connect my Thinkpad to the network, internet is excellent, but can't print. I have set printer up as a shared device, but not working. Is it because the Thinkpad is incompatible with the AirPort? Any ideas please?

2. I have a Sony HandyCam HC35E. Was advised in Apple shop that I could connect and Mac would recognise cam and I could edit in iMovies. Mac refuses to recognise cam at all. Have connected via USB. Am thinking I need a 4-6 pin Firewire cable. Anyone agree/disagree?

3. I want to migrate Outlook e-mails (inbox and sent items) plus contacts to Mail. Have lots of suggestions and Outlook2Mac seems to be the most popular, but I'm sure I read somewhere that some of the Outlook functions (attachments, flags etc) would be lost on migration. Can anyone put my mind at rest or suggest workaround please?

Thanks for viewing and thanks in advance for any guidance.

Regards.

Not sure about 2 & 3, but for point number 1 try downloading the "Bonjour For Windows" utility from the Apple website

Should then be a simple matter of running the Bonjour Printer Setup Wizard and selecting the printer that is attached to your Airport

Simples! :smashin:

Alternatively, you can manually add the printer using the Airport Extreme's IP address. In the Add Printer wizard, select LOCAL printer, create a new TCP/IP port with the IP address of the Extreme. The rest should then be fairly straight forward (as long as you have correct drivers installed/available)

Last edited:
Hi all,

2. I have a Sony HandyCam HC35E. Was advised in Apple shop that I could connect and Mac would recognise cam and I could edit in iMovies. Mac refuses to recognise cam at all. Have connected via USB. Am thinking I need a 4-6 pin Firewire cable. Anyone agree/disagree?

I think that's the same camcorder as mine. Yes you do need to use firewire. The USB dose not output at full reselution anyway and your mac will be able to control the camera (ie rewind the tape) using the Firewire cable.

Yes you do need to use firewire.
+ 1. Almost all tape-based camcorders use FireWire to transfer video. USB transfer is for stills and downgraded video only. Does your MacBook have FireWire, though? My understanding is that the new generation MacBooks (not MacBook Pros) do not. There are no USB-FireWire adapters of repute.

Thanks - good point. No Firewire on latest MacBook. Apple advise to install Sony driver to Mac, import to Sony software then to iMovies. Does this sound reasonable? I'm never particularly confident speaking with premium rate 'support' numbers. Never seem to know specifically what the issues are and how to resolve them. Much better advice in this forum!

Thanks.

Not sure about 2 & 3, but for point number 1 try downloading the "Bonjour For Windows" utility from the Apple website

Should then be a simple matter of running the Bonjour Printer Setup Wizard and selecting the printer that is attached to your Airport

Simples! :smashin:

Alternatively, you can manually add the printer using the Airport Extreme's IP address. In the Add Printer wizard, select LOCAL printer, create a new TCP/IP port with the IP address of the Extreme. The rest should then be fairly straight forward (as long as you have correct drivers installed/available)

Thanks for the advice. It's actually a work laptop that I'm trying to connect and my work IT dept are about as useful as a chocolate tea-pot. I have a nagging feeling that I'm going to have problems getting round the laptop security/firewalls - work are paranoid about viruses to the extreme. The damned thing is so slow, they're almost not worth having. I have advised them to go Mac and charge them a consultancy fee for the advice!

Apple advise to install Sony driver to Mac, import to Sony software then to iMovies. Does this sound reasonable?
I doubt it'll work. Does Sony actually provide a "driver" for video transfer, for the Mac? I've not heard of an alternative to full-quality mini-DV video transfer in the absence of FireWire. I'd happily be wrong about that, though. You'll just have to suck it and see.

My MiniMax HD, connected to AirPort has Firewire 400 connections. Can't I connect an iLINK/Firewire cable from Sony Handycam to MiniMax and import to iMovie that way, or am I missing something?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom