Mac Pro iTunes and Photos storage advice needed

Alps

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need some advice please on iTunes storage on my Mac Pro.

I have the following setup:

Mac HD drive of 600gb (this is the standard HD that came with the Mac) - this stores all my applications, Photos file and iTunes file.

Additional Internal Drive 1 of 1tb - this stores all my documents and video projects

Additional Internal Drive 2 of 1tb - this also stores documents and some video projects.

Problem is, my Mac HD is now almost full due to very large Photos and iTunes files. Can I move the Photos and iTunes files to either of the additional HD's and continue to store photos and music on those files? I really don't want to have additional iTunes and Photos files if possible.

Thanks

Yes

Photos are easy enough Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac

iTunes is also easy enough however it's not been itunes for a while now, are you using an older version of MacOS because it might vary depending on what you're using. (although it's quite like;ly simply a case of quitting itunes/music, moving the folder and then restarting the app while holding down the Option key which lets you select the new library location.)

For example Free up space on your Mac by moving your music to an external drive

Yes

Photos are easy enough Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac

iTunes is also easy enough however it's not been itunes for a while now, are you using an older version of MacOS because it might vary depending on what you're using. (although it's quite like;ly simply a case of quitting itunes/music, moving the folder and then restarting the app while holding down the Option key which lets you select the new library location.)

For example Free up space on your Mac by moving your music to an external drive
Thanks Jamie. And LOL! You're spot on about it being an old system. It's a 2008 Mac Pro running the last OS it could use :laugh:

But I want to be able to continue adding music to the same library rather than create a new one. Same woth Photos. Hope this is possible.

Thanks Jamie. And LOL! You're spot on about it being an old system. It's a 2008 Mac Pro running the last OS it could use :laugh:

But I want to be able to continue adding music to the same library rather than create a new one. Same woth Photos. Hope this is possible.
Yes, you manually copy the library to the new disc and then instruct the app to use the new location. Once you've confirmed it worked you can then delete the old photo library folder. Any new additions will go in the new location.

Not sure. If I do this, will it affect the quality of the pictures?

TBH it's personal preference but the OP has plenty of local storage available, for me I like the security of a backup to the cloud but not as my primary storage YMMV

Thanks Jamie. I'm backing up my Libraries as I type and will then brave the switch to the second HD on my Mac.Is dragging and dropping the libraries the best way? Or should I Cut and Paste them to the new drive?

And what's 'YMMV'?

Your mileage may vary.

The article I linked suggests copying, I guess so you can confirm it's all OK before deleting the original folder.

In that article, it mentions 'consolidating'. What is this?

And I really need to get with the kids with the abbreviations (YMMV) 🤣

Guys, I finally moved the iTunes folder and all went well. Thank you again for your advice and tips :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom