Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Mac OSX and adding a 16:9 flag to DVD-Rs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nialli, Nov 18, 2004.

1. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Anyone know how to add the widescreen flag to a DVD-R (burnt on an E85) using a Mac? I've got an OSX laptop and would like to put the flag on my DVD-Rs for playback on a 4:3 TV in letterbox.

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    To change the flag you need to copy the files from the DVD-R to the computer Hard Drive, change the Widescreen setting in one or more of the .IFO files and then burn a new DVD-R.
    Sorry I have no Mac experience and don't know if such software exists.
    Maybe it is possible to run IFOEdit under a windows emulator.

Edit: If you are prepared to get your hands dirty using HexEditor take a look at this homepage.mac.com/rnc/EditMpegHeaderIFO.html

Just experimented with a 4:3 DVD .IFO file on PC hard drive, by changing hex address 200 from 53 (4:3) to 5F it now thinks it's widescreen :)

5F is the value for 16:9 that would result from a change to the WS flag made using IFOEdit, whereas the values used in the above link are different and may only apply to SVCDs :confused: