1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac OSX and adding a 16:9 flag to DVD-Rs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nialli, Nov 18, 2004.

1. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Anyone know how to add the widescreen flag to a DVD-R (burnt on an E85) using a Mac? I've got an OSX laptop and would like to put the flag on my DVD-Rs for playback on a 4:3 TV in letterbox.

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    To change the flag you need to copy the files from the DVD-R to the computer Hard Drive, change the Widescreen setting in one or more of the .IFO files and then burn a new DVD-R.
    Sorry I have no Mac experience and don't know if such software exists.
    Maybe it is possible to run IFOEdit under a windows emulator.

Edit: If you are prepared to get your hands dirty using HexEditor take a look at this homepage.mac.com/rnc/EditMpegHeaderIFO.html

Just experimented with a 4:3 DVD .IFO file on PC hard drive, by changing hex address 200 from 53 (4:3) to 5F it now thinks it's widescreen :)

5F is the value for 16:9 that would result from a change to the WS flag made using IFOEdit, whereas the values used in the above link are different and may only apply to SVCDs :confused: